What's new

Cinemark theater premiere reserved seating maps? The Last Jedi (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure anyone could help, but I just preordered tickets for The Last Jedi at my local Cinemark theater for tonight in 3D. I've not gone to the theater this past year, I think the last film I went to see was Alien Covenant. So it takes a big film now to get me out.

Anyway, I see this theater now has reserved seating and I took two seats. But when you order the tickets and pick the seats, they are shown on a map that's not very accurate to scale. What I'm curious about is are the supposedly reserved seating placed in a premiere viewing area as they advertise, going to be not too close to the screen? The tickets I got is the third row. So hopefully not too close. But I'm fearing the worst. Having been to this theater many times, but before they had the reserved seating, I have no idea what the reserved section, if any, is like. But since this is a multiplex of many theaters fitted into the building, each auditorium isn't that big, so my guess is the entire auditorium is reserved seating.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Way too close. There are no "reserved" sections in auditoriums at the major chain multiplexes. It's either all or nothing. That has been my experience. Try either cancelling your order (you can do that now on Fandango) and re-ordering with better seats (at least half-way back from the screen and no more than 1/4 from the back is my preference).

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Every seat in the theater would be reserved seating. I don’t think they would ever have partial reserved and partial free seating.

Could you post a screen capture of the theater seating diagram? Based on that I could give a suggestion for what row I would typically choose.

Also, do you know if the theater was recently renovated with the new luxury recliners? Those theaters have a lot less seating available and the distance from rows to screen is different compared to what they used to be.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Cineplex has some theatres with partially reserved seating. Five or six rows in the middle have reserved, more expensive seating, while the rest of the auditorium has standard first-come-first-served seating with standard pricing.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
IMG_0800.PNG
The seats are C12 and 11. I've highlighted the seat to the left if the ones I have reserved, it's shown in the orange color. My friend thinks because Disney is dictating the theaters only show The Last Jedi in the largest auditorium, the seats might not be that bad. And the website for the theater does say it has the fancy luxury recliners for this auditorium that the Last Jedi is playing in.

The seats are closer then the handicap seats!

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd be cautious. Based on that map, it looks like you're in the back row of the front floor seats, just below the screen.

On the other hand, that would seem to be a very small theater if that map represents all the seats in the auditorium.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'm a little nervous. My friend is less worried as he is thinking that since it's a 3D showing the seats need to be a reasonable distance for the effect to work, plus this theater just installed those luxury recliner seats and are doing the reserved seating, so this is the first time I've been there since that work was done. So hopefully every seat will be OK viewing. Of course some seats are better then others.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
View attachment 42509 The seats are C12 and 11. I've highlighted the seat to the left if the ones I have reserved, it's shown in the orange color. My friend thinks because Disney is dictating the theaters only show The Last Jedi in the largest auditorium, the seats might not be that bad. And the website for the theater does say it has the fancy luxury recliners for this auditorium that the Last Jedi is playing in.

The seats are closer then the handicap seats!

Based on that pic I agree that it looks like the front floor seats. If there aren’t any more rows further back (all rows being shown in that diagram) then the row right behind the handicap row is the one I’d typically go with. But it’s hard to say without really knowing the size of the theater. This is the lousy down side of reserved seats.

Which Cinemark theater is it and what showtime? I can look on my app.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
It's the Cinemark 12 San Mateo California, 10:45pm 3D digital showing.

I saw Apollo 13 from the front row seats back in the day. Watching the launch sequence was an experience! :). So I'm hoping these front seats are further back from the screen. It's gotta be better then that!

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Here is the premium XD theater at my Cinemark. In a theater this size, I’d typically prefer to sit in row “F”, though E is ok too.

I prefer to have decent immersion but don’t want to have to turn my head to look from one side of the screen to the other.
244A0228-312C-4354-97BC-C9F81E0D4506.png

Here is one of their smaller theaters. The two rows in the front are the really close front / floor seating. In a theater this size, I go for Row D (behind the handicapped seating). Those front rows would be way too close for me.
A4B12C13-A050-4FAE-A208-4AD99379952F.png

Here is your theater.

It also looks like a smaller theater. Though I’ve only ever seen two front rows in my Cinemark’s small theaters while yours has three front rows.

Still, if I were picking from this diagram based on my experience with Cinemark’s newly renovated layout, I’d probably do with Row “E”. All those seats are taken though.

I think you are going to be sitting close in row “C”. Probably closer than you’d prefer (definitely closer than I’d prefer). But hopefully not uncomfortably close.

All of the rows in my newly renovated Cinemark have enough space between them so that someone could walk in front of you while you are fully reclined with your legs out and you wouldn’t even have to move. So there should be a good amount of space between the rows.
994A19C2-FF79-4D52-AD51-F272E5385C53.png
It's the Cinemark 12 San Mateo California, 10:45pm 3D digital showing.

I saw Apollo 13 from the front row seats back in the day. Watching the launch sequence was an experience! :). So I'm hoping these front seats are further back from the screen. It's gotta be better then that!

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Sean for that effort, I’d agree Row C is closer then I usually want to sit. I think we’re going for it anyway and are hoping for the best. I imagine the dimensions of every theater will vary especially if the Cinemark theaters are renovating existing spaces. Unless there’s a standard they have to work to.

So maybe the front rows are closer or further from the screens but maybe they require a minimum distance to the screen. How close would you estimate the row E seats you like are from the screen? And Row C from the screen?

Looking at those assigned seats, looks like The Last Jedi is not a sell out. Not yet.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Thanks Sean for that effort, I’d agree Row C is closer then I usually want to sit. I think we’re going for it anyway and are hoping for the best. I imagine the dimensions of every theater will vary especially if the Cinemark theaters are renovating existing spaces. Unless there’s a standard they have to work to.

So maybe the front rows are closer or further from the screens but maybe they require a minimum distance to the screen. How close would you estimate the row E seats you like are from the screen? And Row C from the screen?

Looking at those assigned seats, looks like The Last Jedi is not a sell out. Not yet.

Hope you enjoy it. I won’t be seeing it until tomorrow at 7:30PM. I’d typically do the Cinemark “XD” theater, in which case I’d go with Row F at my Cinemark, but this time I’m going to a digital IMAX showing at another theater.

It’s hard to say how far it is for the rows I typically choose. Because, as you said, the size and dimensions of all theaters can be different. So I usually go by perceived viewing angle. In which case I think I probably wind up choosing something that’s close to one screen width. Maybe 1.25? But it’s really just based on how much of my field of view it fills.

The reserved seating can stink if you don’t know what row will line up with your preferred viewing angle. But if you go to the theater often you will learn which row you want when reserving seats. So far at my Cinemark I try for “F” in the larger XD theater and “D” in the smaller theaters. But the layout of my smaller theaters looks somewhat different from yours (2 front rows instead of 3).

Let us know what you think of the seating distance you got. One thing is for sure, Cinemark did a really nice job with their recent renovations (at least mine in Scranton/Moosic PA). The seating is so spacious, they probably decreased the seat count in all of their theaters by nearly a third I’d guess.

Last edited:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Well, I saw The Last Jedi last night and indeed the row C was along the flat front section. I’d estimate we were around 25 feet from the screen. It wasn’t horrible, but definitely not ideal. I was surprised how many were in this section. And the seats next to me on the left we’re all full.

Here’s a pic of the screen from my seat. It looks awful, but once the film started and we were involved in the movie, it wasn’t an issue as much. Sometimes it was tough during really close close-ups. I’m definitely not sitting this close next time and I know that the rows behind the handicap row are more ideal at this theater’s newly redone seating.

3131D4E1-1C82-4165-83B9-FB8A085410AB.jpeg

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Well, I saw The Last Jedi last night and indeed the row C was along the flat front section. I’d estimate we were around 25 feet from the screen. It wasn’t horrible, but definitely not ideal. I was surprised how many were in this section. And the seats next to me on the left we’re all full.

Here’s a pic of the screen from my seat. It looks awful, but once the film started and we were involved in the movie, it wasn’t an issue as much. Sometimes it was tough during really close close-ups. I’m definitely not sitting this close next time and I know that the rows behind the handicap row are more ideal at this theater’s newly redone seating.

View attachment 42545
Figured that would be the case. So at least you know what row to go with for future theater visits (if it’s the same size theater).

What did you think of the power recliners and amount of space between rows? Cinemark has spoiled me with that. I’m at a Regal IMAX now and it’s crazy how tight the seating is (comparatively)

Last edited:

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
What did you think of the power recliners and amount of space between rows? Cinemark has spoiled me with that. I’m at a Regal IMAX now and it’s crazy how tight the seating is (comparatively)
The IMAX at the Regal in Warrington, PA is a spacious wonderland compared to the rest of their screens where my knees have just enough room to not be able to move at all without kicking the seat in front of me or bump into the person next to me. Nearly every movie theater that I've ever been in is not built for anyone 6 foot or taller.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Sean, I hope you enjoy the show there at your theater! :)

This Cinemark is smaller compared to a large 16 auditorium Cinemark down in Silicon Valley nearer my workplace. That one has the wider reclining seats. Unless the ones in the front rows where I was last night were smaller. The arm portions were a little narrower. And the young punks that sat down next to us hit my feet as they ran to the concessions. Not that it was cramped, it was roomy and much better then before. But I didn’t expect to see the pivot out snack table that was on the chairs last night. Must be a new feature!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks