What's new

Latest Fire TV box and older equipment (1 Viewer)

pete5668

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Bell
I have the latest All-New Fire TV (box, not stick) with 4K Ultra HD and Alexa Voice Remote (2017 Edition, Pendant) Streaming Media Player.

I am trying to route the audio from this Fire TV through an older home theater receiver, Panasonic model SA-XR57K, which only has one HDMI input and one HDMI output, and an older JVC LT-32X576 which only has one HDMI input. I recently "cut the cord" so I have returned my cable box. The sound worked fine through the cable box, it was about 12 years old. I have replaced cable with the Amazon Fire TV.

The audio works fine if I just plug the FireTV into the TV input, but then I can't use my home theater speakers.

I have tried plugging the Fire TV into the receiver's HDMI input and outputting the HDMI directly to the TV's HDMI input, but I have had no audio.

I also tried using a separate audio out left/right cable running from the Audio Out jack from the TV to the TV/STB Input on the receiver.

I also tried turning the TV's audio volume all the way down.

I have also tried plugging the Fire TV into an HDMI switcher with 5 inputs and one output and routing the output to the receiver's HDMI input and then connecting the receiver's HDMI output to the TV's input. No luck there either.

Unfortunately, my TV does not have an optical digital connection at all, even though my receiver does.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? Thanks!

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Have you checked the Fire TV's sound output setting. Change it to PCM if this is an option. It may be sending bitstream that the older receiver can't decode.

Brian

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The receiver isn't passing through audio on hdmi. There may be nothing you can do, but if you can, there is an option in the setup menu of the receiver to change it. It's probably under hdmi in the setup menu but it could be audio or audio/video. What you're looking for is "hdmi audio pass-through", "audio pass-through" or something like that. You want to turn it on. right now, the receiver is removing audio from the hdmi output. You want to tell it to stop. If that option isn't available on the receiver, you don't have a good solution other than a new receiver or TV since, from you said, they both only have one hdmi input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks