What's new

Starting a Digital Library (1 Viewer)

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I have been collecting Blu rays for many years now. Most come with a digital version. I either have a card for each, or some of the early sets ask you to insert a special disc. I have redeemed only one of these movies because I was interested in the commentary only available that way. I did not bother with the rest because I thought it would take a lot of memory. I see now that you can just stream the movie, once you put in the code.

I thought I could gradually redeem these (the ones not expired of course) on one website if possible and create a library.

I am in Canada, so my choices are limited. I remember the redemption process being easy for the one I already used. Would iTunes be the best choice? Could all of them be deposited there?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I am not sure about how Digital Copies work in Canada, but here in the States the best way is probably to go through Movies Anywhere and linking to accounts with iTunes, Vudu, Amazon and Google. You get six free digital movies when you link two or more accounts to Movies Anywhere.

Hopefully someone from Canada will chime in with whatever restrictions may exist with this suggestion for our friends north of the border.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
In Canada, there's no Movies Anywhere or Vudu. Amazon Video exists, but only for Prime members and the selection is pretty limited.

I believe Google and Cineplex both have decent selections. I have an Apple TV, so I pretty much just stick with iTunes. Some blu-rays come with codes that are redeemable from iTunes - those I'll use, the rest I just toss.

Gary Neuwirth

Stunt Coordinator
I just started my digital library..I also had digital codes that were expired. I linked vudu,iTunes, and google to MovieAnywhere. Those expired codes in my dvds still worked. Example....If vudu didn’t accept the expired code I tried it at iTunes or another and what do you know...it would get accepted and the movie would be installed at all of them.

The digital codes that require the disc in the computer were the hardest to get accepted at iTunes but finally got them to work. Very happy to get my Lord of the Rings Extended on bluray into my digital library and those codes were back when they got released in the boxset.

Real Name
Mick Hyperion
I've been building my digital library for about 10 years now. I have nearly 7,000 animated shorts, tv shows, movies, and music videos that I have either purchased or converted from my physical media collection. I use iTunes to store, manage, and organize it all. While I appreciate the streaming options that iTunes, Movies Anywhere, etc. provide, I like to store all of my digital copies locally. Hard drives are cheap these days, so storing and even backing it up doesn't cost much. I find it to be a fun hobby, converting old favorite shows, building playlists, taking media on my phone when traveling, using devices like the Apple TV to access my entire (local) collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks