What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Between the start of modern large format (65mm) cinema production, with Oklahoma! in 1955, and today, around fifty English language feature films were created.

I would gauge that around 50% of those were worth producing a such. Far fewer stand the test of time.

Does it then, come down to hubris, for Christopher Nolan to spend 100 million dollars to shoot a film about Dunkirk in both IMAX and 70mm?

I'm a huge fan of his work, especially his Batman films, but I proffer than decades from today, the film representing his work, that will best stand the test of time, will be Dunkirk.

Dunkirk is a film that defines the logic of large format cinematography in an era when film is looked upon as a dinosaur.

It's a magisterial production. A tiny story, told on a huge canvas.

Something of which I believe Sir David would allow a nod of approval.

I viewed it initially in IMAX 70/15, and am pleased to report that Warner Bros. new 4k UHD Blu-ray accurately reproduces the look, textures and audio of the original.

Dunkirk is one of those films, that can be counted on the fingers of a single hand, that stands as a rationale to not only go 4k, but projection.

It's an extraordinary home theatre achievement, that is so highly resolved and filled with detail it takes on an otherworldly aura.

Anyone on the fence regarding 4k, need only to look toward Dunkirk.

An extraordinary cinematic achievement, translated meticulously to 4k UHD Blu-ray.

To my eyes, the 4k disc of the year.

As an aside, once you see Dunkirk, best to move along smartly and also view Darkest Hour, which covers a similar period and situation, in a very symbiotic manner.

Image - 5*

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

4k - 5

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited by a moderator:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Great review. Thanks. Looking forward to experiencing Dunkirk on my 4k player/TV.

But doesn't VistaVision count as large format? There are more than 60 titles in VistaVision alone....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VistaVision_films

PS My other favorite Christopher Nolan movie is The Prestige, which I think is brilliant. Is that one coming to 4k too? I hope so....

Last edited:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Great review. Thanks. Looking forward to experiencing Dunkirk on my 4k player/TV.

But doesn't VistaVision count as large format? There are more than 60 titles in VistaVision alone....

PS My other favorite Christopher Nolan movie is The Prestige, which I think is brilliant. Is that one coming to 4k too? I hope so....

65mm origination is very different from either VVLA or TLA. My comments were directly referencing 65mm negatives.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
Absolutely one of the best films of the year for me too.

Will still have to wait a bit to convert to native 4K projection, but prices are coming down - this year's Sony VPL-VW675ES is $15 000 and is capable of producing 53 foot-Lamberts (fL) in HDR mode using the Bright Cinema setting, high lamp mode, iris wide open, and Contrast set to 70 using an 82-inch wide projection screen with verified 1.0 gain.

Maybe in two years' time I can premiere a 4K double-bill of Dunkirk and Lawrence Of Arabia in my living room?

moviepas

Supporting Actor
As I type here in Australia, I believe my Blu Ray/4k UHDCombo is sitting in my Post office waiting until they open for tomorrow's business. I await patiently.

Reactions: PMF

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

The Pestige was announced months ago the same time as Dunkirk. It also comes out tomorrow on 4K along with Interstellar, Inception and the Dark Knight trilogy.

Mark VH

Second Unit
Lawrence/Dunkirk would be an interesting double bill, but to me the more apt Lean double feature with this would be In Which We Serve, which struck me as a clear inspiration for Nolan's film. It's also a sorely underrated Lean work.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
After watching this in 15/70 IMAX, there is no way that a home video release of this film could come even close to that experience, sonically or visually.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
I saw this film twice while it played in theaters...once on standard projection, and the second in IMAX lite. I only wish I could have seen it a third time. Will certainly be picking up the BD.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Is it worth a blind buy/watch? :P
Your enjoyment will depend on your tolerance for the following elements:
(a) non-linear narrative;
(b) shifting aspect ratios;
(c) how loud you are willing to crank your sound system and risk the wrath of your neighbours; and
(d) not being spoon-fed exposition
If you can handle at least three out of four here, you should be fine, but Dunkirk really demands to be seen on as large a screen as possible with as thunderous a sound system as possible. It is a truly visceral experience.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.

Yes it's just been released & available to purchase on it's own or in the Nolan 7 film 4K boxset.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The Pestige was announced months ago the same time as Dunkirk. It also comes out tomorrow on 4K along with Interstellar, Inception and the Dark Knight trilogy.
Amazon doesn't have a listing for The Prestige, but Best Buy does.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Your enjoyment will depend on your tolerance for the following elements:
(a) non-linear narrative;
(b) shifting aspect ratios;
(c) how loud you are willing to crank your sound system and risk the wrath of your neighbours; and
(d) not being spoon-fed exposition
If you can handle at least three out of four here, you should be fine, but Dunkirk really demands to be seen on as large a screen as possible with as thunderous a sound system as possible. It is a truly visceral experience.

"B" is less noticeable here than usual because so much of the movie is IMAX ratio! :)

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
Not a coincidence that Christopher Nolan's BFI Southbank selections from July of 2017 included "Ryan's Daughter".

Yes I saw the 70mm print of Ryans Daughter the 2 times it was screened and it looked and sounded fab.
The 70mm print was from Swedish Film Archive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks