What's new

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
This is great news but Kino and TT repeatedly reported that this film like the Alamo is in need of a major restoration which we know wasn't done so we should have very low expectations for this. It will probably look along the lines of The Pride and The Prejudice. But its probably the best we will ever get so I'm in. I have given up on a restoration of the Roadshow Alamo and just hope someone will give us the Roadshow version of the Alamo in existing form.. An HD upconvert with some color correction to Blu Ray will still be a big step-up from my Laserdisc. The Alamo is one film that after watching the roadshow version I can't watch the shortened theatrical version anymore. 37 minutes cut. Just so much continuity to the film and the historical details is missing. Plus the wonderful Birthday party scene.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Saw THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL as a teenager at the Warner Cinerama (I believe) on Broadway, and, although I loved about almost any movie I got to see back then, especially on a massive screen in NYC, I was bored to tears by this. The last "comedy" I had seen in a curved screen was IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD which had me in stitches beginning to end. This movie left me feeling exhausted and unentertained. A waste of two and a half hours. I'm glad this is being released on Blu-ray because the film definitely has its champions, but I am not among them, in spite of the cast and the music score.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yeah because of the cast, music and an epic comedy western I give this movie a pass but it should have been much better but it is the only epic comedy western we have.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
That's interesting. Probably same transfer as the old DVD? Would be cool if it's the full 2.76:1 AR and 5.1 sound from original 6-tracks but I doubt it.
My guess is its probably a new 2k scan of the existing master. Since the DVD was non-anamorphic it should definitely be a step up from the that. Probably not 2.76 and 5.1 sound.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Yeah because of the cast, music and an epic comedy western I give this movie a pass but it should have been much better but it is the only epic comedy western we have.

Candygram for ...
2ca7eb6ac60412569f6f8cda3a6fc0ee--comedy-film-tv-movie.jpg

Define epic ...
blazing_saddles2.jpg
;)

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I'd go with Little Big Man as an epic comedy western CLASSIC that still works today. (And no, Blazing Saddles is not epic, but is a comedy). We're talking scale, ambition, length, reach here.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
The fact that it will be anamorphic already makes it an improvement on what we have. I just hope Olive gives us the Roadhsow version with overture, intermission and entr'acte which I assume is not a given. I'm not holding my breath for a pristine transfer and I'm already bracing myself for the complaining by the usual suspects (no names :)) but personally, I found the Pride And The Passion transfer acceptable. Not reference quality but acceptable.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The DVD has been sitting on my shelf for a long time unopened. I, too, saw it as a teen in its original release in the 1960s and was underwhelmed though I liked the cast very much. I might need to open it some time this week and watch it again to see if I would have any interest in the Blu-ray version.

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
There is one thing that concerns me with the 5.1 track on "THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL".
Back when the laserdisc was produced, the 4-track composite stereo master of reel one was missing, only the mono was available. So to overcome this problem, the stereo track of the main title from the album master was used. The album unfortunately was not the original tracks but a re-recording!
The remainder of the reel was stereo enhanced. The overture I believe was unaffected as it probably came from the stereo m&e track.
Recently some stereo material of reel one was discovered. I only hope MGM updated their stereo master with this material.
The difference in quality and performance of the main title between the original, as recorded on Goldwyn's scoring stage seven, and the re-recording is considerable.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I have always enjoyed this film for what it is; a piece of fun. The score is sublime and I still have it on high rotation. I will wait for reviews but this is a blu that I hope is a vast improvement over the DVD.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Saw THE HALLELUJAH TRAIL as a teenager at the Warner Cinerama (I believe) on Broadway, and, although I loved about almost any movie I got to see back then, especially on a massive screen in NYC, I was bored to tears by this. The last "comedy" I had seen in a curved screen was IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD which had me in stitches beginning to end. This movie left me feeling exhausted and unentertained. A waste of two and a half hours. I'm glad this is being released on Blu-ray because the film definitely has its champions, but I am not among them, in spite of the cast and the music score.

HALLELUJAH TRAIL was a great film. (and I am not a western fan). The Warner in NYC did indeed have a great and massive sized screen..I saw GRAND PRIX there. IT'S A MAD,MAD,MAD,MAD WORLD was virtually devoid of any comedy. A great cast of comedians that were not given the material to work with. Both H.T .and IAMMMMW screened in Cinerama where I worked. Both were very successful. Did you know that IAMMMMW was not even listed in the top 50 comedy films ever made? (U.K site)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks