What's new

The Best 4K Discs (1 Viewer)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I hope this is not a repetitive thread, I didn’t see one like it. I would like to have those who have a 4K setup to nominate 4K releases that are noticeably better than the blu ray. I have several 4K discs (not many) and so far, I’ve only had one of them knock my socks off.

Those of you with projection systems are probably seeing more benefit from 4K, but I have an LG 65UH8500 LED. It’s a great TV, but I’m not seeing what I hoped for in most 4K discs.

My submission is Blade Runner (the original). It took me 5 seconds to relealize this was a special release. Blade Runner is what 4K was meant to be.

CarlLaFong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bob Wheeler
Hi Johnny, I'll second the vote on Dunkirk. I'll admit I haven't compared it to the blu-ray, but the 4K looks wonderful.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I'm waiting for my Optoma to be installed at home, but I compared the 4K of Unforgiven against the remastered blu ray on the demo projector set-up in the store with a 100 inch screen. The blu ray was so inferior on outdoor scenes, it almost felt like watching a DVD in comparison! The colours were simply stunning in 4K. The blu ray is incorrectly colour-timed as well, compared to the 4K. All the white actors have very red faces. (The differences in the dark scenes are more subtle, but they are noticeable there as well).

Other catalogue 4K films I tested looked vastly better compared to the blu ray: Blade Runner, A Few Good Men, ET, Leon The Professional. Although not a catalogue film, The Revenant 4K has different colour-timing, compared to the blu ray - I'm guessing it will knock your socks off!

I am looking forward to seeing if the upcoming The Big Lebowski in 4K, due to be released in Scandinavia on March 12th, will be a new master, without the horrible DNR on the blu ray.

Last edited:

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Close Encounters looks tremendous in 4K.

And a few more off the top of my head
King Kong (2005)
Interstellar
Dunkirk

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought The Fate of the Furious looked amazing in 4K, especially the opening scenes in Cuba which fairly pop off the screen. It's also Dolby Vision enhanced if your system can play it. Mine can't yet, but even regular flavor HDR is wonderful in this title.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Blade Runner
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
War for the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Lucy
Planet Earth II
The Shallows
Starship Troopers
Underworld
X-Men Apocalypse

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Planet Earth II is the best title I own to demonstrate 4K HDR. It is jaw-droppingly gorgeous!

My next pick would be the screensavers on the 4K Apple TV. Awesome!

Mark

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
My 3 faves right now for PQ and Atmos:
Bladerunner 2049
War for the Planet of the Apes
Pacific Rim

No Atmos on Dunkirk made me sad. Yes I understand Nolan's thinking, but I disagree with him =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks