What's new

Adding Atmos speakers? (1 Viewer)

Craig Ball

Second Unit
I have been out of the Home theater arena for a while now. Looking at getting a new 7.2 reciever' At the moment I have a 5.1 set up with Paradigm Monitor series v4 and a pw2200 sub. Since this Atmos is new to me I was wondering if I should just get some like svs offer and hang the high up front, or go the extra mile and install two in the ceiling.?

Real Name
Shane Harger
I'm in the same situation as the OP, except I recently acquired a 7.2 Dolby Atmos capable amp. What I'm wondering, however is, how do I implement Atmos speakers into my system when it's already 7.1 surround and all speaker designations are already in use? Do I need to replace the front speakers with Atmos capable ones (not my first choice since I have matched B&Ws all around and B&W doesn't offer Atmos front speakers), or do I need to use the zone 2 pre-outs for some powered Atmos speakers, or is bi-amping an option? In any case, I believe my only option for Atmos speakers are the ones which are designed to be positioned at the front and bounce the sound off the ceiling?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm in the same situation as the OP, except I recently acquired a 7.2 Dolby Atmos capable amp. What I'm wondering, however is, how do I implement Atmos speakers into my system when it's already 7.1 surround and all speaker designations are already in use? Do I need to replace the front speakers with Atmos capable ones (not my first choice since I have matched B&Ws all around and B&W doesn't offer Atmos front speakers), or do I need to use the zone 2 pre-outs for some powered Atmos speakers, or is bi-amping an option? In any case, I believe my only option for Atmos speakers are the ones which are designed to be positioned at the front and bounce the sound off the ceiling?

The additional speaker in an ATMOS system all require an amp. In your case you would have to go with 5.1.2 and eliminate the rear speakers.

Which receiver did you get? I bet there are outputs to add external amps so you could go with 7.1.2 or similar.

I'm currently working on my upgrade as well. Depending on how ambitious I feel it will either be 7.2.2 or 7.2.4.

Craig Ball

Second Unit
The additional speaker in an ATMOS system all require an amp. In your case you would have to go with 5.1.2 and eliminate the rear speakers.

5.1.2 Was my initial thought. I do have another set of paradigm speaks i could use in a 7.1 set up now would just need to run wires through an insulated outside wall of the house.

Which receiver did you get? I bet there are outputs to add external amps so you could go with 7.1.2 or similar. Been looking at Denon recievers as my old one has served me well any opinions?

I'm currently working on my upgrade as well. Depending on how ambitious I feel it will either be 7.2.2 or 7.2.4.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
When you say "Amp", I'm guessing you mean a receiver. Are you certain it's capable of Atmos? Your questions make me suspect it might not be.

Real Name
Shane Harger
When you say "Amp", I'm guessing you mean a receiver. Are you certain it's capable of Atmos? Your questions make me suspect it might not be.

Yes, I am certain.
From the Denon's Japanese website (I'm in Japan) and from the English manual respectively:
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.26.21 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 8.20.38 AM.jpg

As for the speaker setup solutions they give in the manual, it looks like they either want you to install the surround and back speakers in the ceiling, have the fronts or surrounds be "Atmos speakers" which reverberate sound off the ceiling, or have the surround (middle) speakers in the ceiling and the back speakers level with the listening area as in a 5.1 setup. I was just wondering if their were any other options. As it is, my surround and back speakers are mounted on the wall about 8 feet off the floor and angled down toward the listening area.

Last edited:
Real Name
Shane Harger
To the OP,
If you really want to take advantage of ATMOS or X, it would probably be better to get yourself a receiver with at least 9 speaker outputs. I'm finding the options on my 7.2 receiver to be quite limiting for an ATMOS implementation. I'm fine with that for now, tho, since I was on a budget. This receiver will hold me over until I get more money together for a better receiver and until ATMOS and other current surround modes get more traction content-wise...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I believe you are still confused about how it works. The speakers that are "Atmos Speakers" are really 2 speakers in one. They require 2 channels from your AVR (and 2 amps).

In your case, you can either keep the 7.1 setup or go with a 5.1.2. Those are the only options available in the 2200. To achieve 5.1.2 you would either need to install ceiling speakers, get speakers that sit on top of you existing speakers, or get the combo speakers to replace your mains.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
David beat me to it.

Yeah, your receiver can drive seven speakers. Period. There is no option for adding more using an external amp. So, it's 7.1 or 5.1.2. Period. No other options. I wonder if it's even worth going with Atmos until you upgrade to a more capable receiver. Between 7.1 and 5.1.2, I suspect the difference is mostly imagined.

Real Name
Shane Harger
I believe you are still confused about how it works. The speakers that are "Atmos Speakers" are really 2 speakers in one. They require 2 channels from your AVR (and 2 amps).

In your case, you can either keep the 7.1 setup or go with a 5.1.2. Those are the only options available in the 2200. To achieve 5.1.2 you would either need to install ceiling speakers, get speakers that sit on top of you existing speakers, or get the combo speakers to replace your mains.

Nah, I get that. I just worded my post wrong. I edited it read what I meant to say...

Real Name
Shane Harger
David beat me to it.

Yeah, your receiver can drive seven speakers. Period. There is no option for adding more using an external amp. So, it's 7.1 or 5.1.2. Period. No other options. I wonder if it's even worth going with Atmos until you upgrade to a more capable receiver. Between 7.1 and 5.1.2, I suspect the difference is mostly imagined.
Yah, I think I'm just going to stick with my 7.1 setup the way it is for now. It's pretty darn impressive and enveloping as is. I was thinking of running some Atmos enabled speakers from the zone 2 pre-outs, but I think I'm going to use those to run some decent powered speakers to the kitchen (next room over) for some music there. Living room (doubling as the home theater room) and kitchen is where we spend most of our waking hours. Music is running from the system probably 95% of the time I'm home with some movies on weekends...

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I have a Onkyo 608 7.2 AV Receiver. Last year I decided to add 2 surround rear speakers for 7.1. at a cost of $400. Now I'm debating on whether to disconnect the new surround rears, leave them in place, install 2 in-ceiling speakers, at a cost of $300 and have 5.1.2...or, buy a NEW 9.2 AV Receiver for $1000-1500, reconnect the surround rears and have 7.1.2.

Everyday I just don't know what I want. Right now it's either keep what I have or spent close to $1800 to get something that is not on most BD/UHD discs...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
Real Name
Shane Harger
I have a Onkyo 608 7.2 AV Receiver. Last year I decided to add 2 surround rear speakers for 7.1. at a cost of $400. Now I'm debating on whether to disconnect the new surround rears, leave them in place, install 2 in-ceiling speakers, at a cost of $300 and have 5.1.2...or, buy a NEW 9.2 AV Receiver for $1000-1500, reconnect the surround rears and have 7.1.2.

Everyday I just don't know what I want. Right now it's either keep what I have or spent close to $1800 to get something that is not on most BD/UHD discs...decisions, decisions, decisions.
That's why I decided to keep my setup the way it is and wait until Atmos and other new surround formats get a better foothold. Same thing with my projector. Not enough 4k content (or money LOL) to justify upgrading for now. I used to be more of an early adopter, but now I'm more inclined to wait until technology advances more as prices go down. My room (actually two smaller rooms put together) is so small that I'd doubt an ATMOS setup would make that big of a difference. The current setup is almost overkill as is...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The 608 doesn't have Atmos, so it's not capable of 5.1.2, which is an Atmos configuration. If you want an Atmos configuration, you HAVE to get a receiver (or pre-pro) that has Atmos.

Real Name
Shane Harger
That's not an option. It doesn't work that way.

Your music in another room idea is what the zone 2 output is intended for.

Oh yeah, huh...cuz the zone 2 pre-outs aren't configured to the decoder. Duh!

Yeah, it would require moving too many speakers, opening holes in the ceiling and running wire. Too much work. Definitely staying with good old Dolby Surround EX or whatever my receiver is defaulting to for my current setup...

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
The 608 doesn't have Atmos, so it's not capable of 5.1.2, which is an Atmos configuration. If you want an Atmos configuration, you HAVE to get a receiver (or pre-pro) that has Atmos.

But it has 2 outs for front highs/wides with Dolby ProLogic IIZ, which is a precursor for Dolby Atmos

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks