Director: Kathryn Bigelow
Writer: Mark Boal
Stars: John Boyega, Anthony Mackie, Algee Smith

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I am baffled that there is no thread on this movie. You have certain expectations from a movie and they are met or not but from time to time a movie completely surprises you which is the greatest feeling. I love when that happens. I was expecting a certain kind of movie, prepared to watch a difficult movie for 2h20. To my surprise it was so "easy" to watch and the time just went by so fast.

The directing is excellent and I would say that Kathryn Bigelow deserves an Oscar nomination. As far as I remember, I think this is a better achievement in directing than Zero Dark Thirty (2012). I have not seen Lady Bird but if they want to honor women this year, they have to nominate Kathryn Bigelow. Even if they don't want to honor women, they have to nominate her. It's good regardless of who did it.

I had a little issue with the court room drama at the end. It just halted the movie. The emotions are so high at that moment that it should have been shorter or done in another way.

Last edited:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
There are many movies without a thread I can't find here (Call Me By Your Name, First They Killed My Father, etc.) and I don't see what the obstacle is except perhaps they're not as mainstream, or maybe, because the topics invoke some discomfort...

...Detroit is about as uncomfortable a film as I've seen this year, but purposely so. There's a sequence in the middle of the picture where, no spoiler, some suspects are being... detained... that is as nerve-racking as almost anything I've seen in film. The firecracker drug deal connection scene with Alfred Molina in Boogie Nights comes to mind, but the scene in this film was based on a historical and real incident.

The fact this extended scene in Detroit is so unnerving is almost entirely due to Bigelow's direction. I mean this scene is more suspense-laden than any of the bomb defusing moments her Oscar-winning direction for The Hurt Locker. So, I agree that she should have been nominated again this year, but for the fact many people have either looked away from this film or not wanted to screen it because it can be so disturbing. That's the whole point of it: we should be disturbed. But it's a fantastic document of evolving directing (and casting) talent.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
...Detroit is about as uncomfortable a film as I've seen this year, but purposely so. There's a sequence in the middle of the picture where, no spoiler, some suspects are being... detained... that is as nerve-racking as almost anything I've seen in film..
Maybe I'm overestimating the time but I swear that whole sequence is about 45 minutes and it's easily the tensest 45 minutes I saw all year.

Unfortunately, it didn't make money and it opened in the summer so it's going to be ignored by the Oscars. That being said, time is going to be kind to Detroit.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I thought this was a really good movie too. But difficult to sit through....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks