What's new

Sundowners, Nun's Story, Romeo and Juliet: Warner Archive (1 Viewer)

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Are these three titles going to be better quality than the pressed discs previously released? Or will they be the same? just wanting to know if I should double dip or not.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
They’re usually reissues unless the original was pan & scan/full frame or non-anamorphic.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I do wonder... if the original pressed disc was dual layer, does the Archive use dual-layer DVD-Rs, or do they compress them down to single layers?

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I do wonder... if the original pressed disc was dual layer, does the Archive use dual-layer DVD-Rs, or do they compress them down to single layers?
Thats a good question...

So, same quality. gotcha. Thanks!

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
All Warner Archive DVD-R are dual layer since mid -late 2010. I remember in their 1st year (2009) there were a lot of requested titles for movies over 2 hours 15 minutes they had stated they were waiting until they had tested dual layer DVD-R and were satisfied before they could be released.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
All Warner Archive DVD-R are dual layer since mid -late 2010. I remember in their 1st year (2009) there were a lot of requested titles for movies over 2 hours 15 minutes they had stated they were waiting until they had tested dual layer DVD-R and were satisfied before they could be released.
Perhaps not coincidentally, 2010 was also the year that Warner switched from their Canadian based manufacturer, from which sprang issues with Warner's 2006 - 2009 dual layer DVD product, to their much more reliable Mexican based manufacturer.

How do I even know the above? Reading about it in this and other forums after recently discovering that GOLD RAIDERS on my MEET THE BARON/GOLD RAIDERS Warner DVD combo from 2006 won't play at all. So many others have reported the same issue with just that Three Stooges GOLD RAIDERS movie (MEET THE BARON plays with no issues in all reported cases that I've read!), and it was all caused by a faulty dual layer issue that thankfully doesn't exist on Warner's post 2009 product, at least to my knowledge.

CHEERS! :)

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Perhaps not coincidentally, 2010 was also the year that Warner switched from their Canadian based manufacturer, from which sprang issues with Warner's 2006 - 2009 dual layer DVD product, to their much more reliable Mexican based manufacturer.

How do I even know the above? Reading about it in this and other forums after recently discovering that GOLD RAIDERS on my MEET THE BARON/GOLD RAIDERS Warner DVD combo from 2006 won't play at all. So many others have reported the same issue with just that Three Stooges GOLD RAIDERS movie (MEET THE BARON plays with no issues in all reported cases that I've read!), and it was all caused by a faulty dual layer issue that thankfully doesn't exist on Warner's post 2009 product, at least to my knowledge.

That and you’re Canadian, right?

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
That and you’re Canadian, right?

Purely coincidental and incidental.

I believe I read about it on the front page of Canada's Newspaper, The Globe & Mail. And didn't it cost Paul Martin the Canadian election? Only Don Cherry on Hockey Night In Canada still defends our "good Canadian DVD pressing plants".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm pretty sure reliability had nothing to do with them switching to a Mexican supplier.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I'm pretty sure reliability had nothing to do with them switching to a Mexican supplier.
Whether it did or didn't, Warner's deteriorating dual layer issue apparently ceased after the 2010 Can/Mex changeover. It may not be the most typical scenario, but there you have it.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Are these three titles going to be better quality than the pressed discs previously released? Or will they be the same? just wanting to know if I should double dip or not.

The operative term here is "DVD." Why are at least the first two titles not coming out on Blu-ray? And let's be clear -- the version of ROMEO AND JULIET to which you refer is NOT the 1968 Zeffirelli version that was a Paramount release, but must be the 1936 MGM version with Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer, a film I despise because I do not care for either actor, who are way-y too old for their roles anyway.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
let's be clear -- the version of ROMEO AND JULIET to which you refer is NOT the 1968 Zeffirelli version that was a Paramount release, but must be the 1936 MGM version with Leslie Howard and Norma Shearer, a film I despise because I do not care for either actor, who are way-y too old for their roles anyway.

I love Shakespeare; I didn’t mind this version (1936). The two actors ARE way too old, yes. But I dont mind it; not the worst version I’ve ever seen . Now A MIDSUMMER NIGHTS DREAM (1935), THAT was terrible.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I just got, this week, The Sundowners in the original pressed release from Amazon and it was a lot cheaper that the WAC new version and the print/colors are fine. I already have it(prob the LaserDisc buried here too) but a friend wanted it. There was on spot of a second or two where there was a crackle in the sound or a jump. I did not see the frames but heard it. I am familiar with most of the older cast in the film and all the Australian actors have gone now(a couple were actually British-born but lived here). Glynis Johns is still with us and is 94 now. She was actually born in Pretoria/Sth Africa.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank

I have to check my Gold Raiders/Meet the Baron disc . Haven't watched in in a couple of years . I hope it's not messed up . Do they not play at all or do they freeze up or what .

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I have to check my Gold Raiders/Meet the Baron disc . Haven't watched in in a couple of years . I hope it's not messed up . Do they not play at all or do they freeze up or what .
Double-layered discs tend to freeze at the layer change. In the case of double features, one feature will play but the other will not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks