What's new

Want to replace Energy Connoisseurs CC10 and CB20 (1 Viewer)

Rocco415

Grip
Real Name
Lou
The story is thus, I have had 2 Energy RC70's that I really like - my rears and center are connoisseur series and cant keep up. I've been looking for an energy rc-lrc, and rc-10(or rc-r's) with no success.

Ive started toying with the idea on upgrading starting with the centers and rears? I am considering monitor audio silvers or focal arias. Would starting with a center and rears overpower or change the balance in comparison to the RC-70's? I haven't had a chance to demo either the silvers or the arias. Im driving everything with a Yamaha aventage (Ill likely replace that soon as well, leaning towards a denon avr3400 or 4400. My use is daily and it includes music and home theater and tv.

The RC70's do a pretty good job with both music and theater but the connoisseurs are muddy. Any thoughts and suggestions are appreciated!

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's not a matter of overpowering or bad balance, because you'll want to adjust the individual speaker levels to get them to match. The problem is, even when the levels are matched, the distinct characteristics of the sound won't match between the mismatched speakers. If your receiver has auto calibration, it will try to equalize them to get them to match, but it's never perfect.

For new speakers, I highly recommend you look into Elac. The Uni-Fi series is in line with what you're considering and is an incredible value, but there is also the Debut line, if you want to save some money. They are NOT muddy!

Rocco415

Grip
Real Name
Lou
Ill look into the Elac's though Im a sucker for the Monitor and Focal Aesthetics, emphasis on the Focal. From a matching perspective, has anyone had success pairing any of these speakers? Also, Im concerned the energy rc70's just will be outshined by such a step up. I was curious if anyone has any relevant experience mixing and matching speakers and being happy with the results. Thoughts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks