What's new

International To My Eyes...THE NANNY from Australia (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
upload_2018-1-23_12-14-21.jpeg

One of many superb Hammer films not yet having a U.S. release, this one from Shock (Australia) looks quite good. It is presented in the 1.85:1

The black and white main movie is all that is included. It looks very acceptable to my eyes, with good sharpness, shadow detail, solid blacks, and movie-like grain structure. Sound is mono, but good.

Hammer has been licensing their films to countries exclusively all over the place, and someone (with a region-free player) needs to do serious traveling to collect them. This title, however, played as all-region on my machine.

This is an underrated/underseen film starring Bette Davis and William Dix (DR. DOLITTLE), containing plot twists and turns and good performances. Well done and involving.

Last edited:

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin
Nice review, Rick. I also enjoyed this film very much, and thought the performances across the board were riveting - especially by the youngsters William Dix and Pamela Franklin (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, The Innocents).

For interested readers, JB Hi-Fi currently has this Blu-ray listed in its 2 movies for $20 range, and (ending this Sunday) has a 20% discount sale for Blus and DVDs. So it can effectively be purchased for $8 Oz or approx $6.40 US, ex shipping:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/horror/nanny-the/712644/

Other offerings in the 2 for $20 deal are listed here:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/movies-tv-shows/movies-tv-shows-on-sale/movies-and-tv-2-for-20/

[In case anyone is wondering, I’m not connected with JB Hi-Fi in any way. Simply passing on info to fellow bargain-hunting movie fans]

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

Users who are viewing this thread