What's new

Criterion Wish Listing 2018 (1 Viewer)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I’m hoping that this is not a doubling-up of something another poster has already done this year, but I hunted through the posts back to New Year’s and didn’t see one yet. I missed last year’s list for sundry work reasons, but have a minute to indulge in this for the current year. Revisiting my prior lists, regardless of reality, and noting that some of the items from the last couple of years actually have been picked up, just not by Criterion.
1. Hard Eight
2. Croupier
3. Kubrick’s Lolita (I have this feeling Criterion is going to continue making their way through the Kubrick catalogue, and this one feels like a proper next step to take…)
4. Bird (a full-on expanded Criterion examination of this film, and of Charlie Parker)
5. Adaptation4. Popeye (Yes, the Altman one. Just for the bonus features…)
6. David Mamet 3-pack (House of Games, Homicide as upgrades, plus Things Change as a new Criterion)
7. The Magnificent Ambersons (carrying over the bonus material from the laserdisc) –...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Like to see on blu-ray The Magnificent Ambersons, Andrei Rublev, Antonio Gaudi, And The Ship Sails On, Two English Girls and I think will happen soon Dersu Uzala which was shown on TCM a few days ago with the Janus logo.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Upgrades
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
Trouble in Paradise (1932)
My Man Godfrey (1936)
W.C. Fields shorts
Josef von Sternberg silents (with the Gaylord Carter scores for The Docks of New York and The Last Command included this time)

Rumored and/or confirmed
The Wedding March (1928)
Harold Lloyd films (what's taking Criterion so bloody long - we haven't had a Lloyd release since December of 2015)
Charlie Chaplin films

Movies that I think are Criterion worthy:
The Laurel and Hardy silents (somebody has to put them out)
The Cameraman (1928)
Spite Marriage (1929)
The Thin Man series
Margie (1946)
Greed (1924)
The Crowd (1928)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I've had Goodbar on my radar before, but didn't list it as there was a discussion about it here a couple of weeks ago, I think.
The upshot is that all the pop songs on the soundtrack would need to once again be licensed, and nobody is willing to pay that number for what will be a niche title. Granted, my list includes forcing someone to go to Rio to get the fabled full cut of Magnificent Ambersons, but somehow that seems more possible than Paramount or anyone else ponying up the dough for a bunch of 70s songs in 2018...

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Upgrades to Fiend Without A Face, Equinox,The Devil and Daniel Webster and Thief of Bagdad..
Id love And Then There Were None to replace the VCI release
In all honesty Id be all for any title that I have in my collection to get a Criterion release this year or any year for that matter, of course many of my wishlist aren't too likely...but to name some anything from Tomorrow At Seven to It Conquered the World to Devil Girl From Mars to Kronos to Will Penny to any Wallace/Mabuse/Krimi films to The Thin Man Series, Charlie Chan, Mr. Moto, The Land Unknown,Dr. X, The Narrow Margin, Gaslight, The Kennel Murder Case,The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao, Tarantula, Match Point, InfraMan, X the Unknown, Martin, Angel Face, The First Deadly Sin, The Late Show, Pilot X, The Set-Up, Gun Crazy, Rain, Berserk, The Major and the Minor, The Letter, Now Voyager, Plan Nine From Outer Space, The Brainiac,The Trial, Detour, DOA, Angel on my Shoulder, The Glass Key, the Big Clock, Alligator, The Locket, etc etc x 1000 :D

At least they've got a TON of Godzilla movies on the horizon !

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover

A Matter of Life and Death (the 2017 digitally restored version)

The Scarlet Pimpernel from 1934

The Tales of Hoffmann (the 2015 restored version that runs 136 minutes and includes a final credits sequence of all the performers and singers not seen in any previous releases; Studio Canal released a Blu-ray of the restored version in Region B on 3/23/15, but the restored version has not been released on DVD or Blu-ray in Region 1/A)

The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
West Side Story...corrected opening whistles, Saul Bass Overture design corrected and discovered original tracks...

Summertime

The Victors...restored to it's 170 minute Roadshow version with Overture.

The Heiress..with an option for Aaron Coplands complete score with the film. If not Criterion then Universal.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I'd have to second the Mosquito Coast and the Year of Living Dangerously. I'd add Peter Weir's Gallipoli, Matewan, and one that would be extremely interesting supplement wise (I think) is Klaus Kinski's Jesus Christus Erloser. Another interesting title that I don't think has had a proper American release is Alain Cavalier's L'Insoumis (aka The Unvanquished, aka Have I the Right to Kill?)

Last edited:

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I'd have to second the Mosquito Coast and the Year of Living Dangerously. I'd add Peter Weir's Gallipoli,

I'll third and second those! ;)

Also:

upgrades:
Written in the Wind
Magnificent Obseesion
The Fugitive Kind
Summertime
The Last Emperor (new 4k scan)

new:
Cyrano de Bergerac
Raise the Red Lantern
Mediterraneo
Farewell my Concubine (new 4K scan)
Little Buddha
The Sheltering Sky
Amadeus (theatrical cut, new 4k scan)
Brokeback Mountain (new 4K scan)
The Hours
La giornata Balorda (original uncut)
The Girl with the suitcase
Il Cammino Della Speranza
Il Giovedi
Death in Venice

Greek cinema:
Theo Angelopoulos films
Electra (1962)
The Red Lanterns (1963)
Blood on the Land (1965)

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
It's been rumored for years that they would be releasing King Hu's martial arts spectacle, DRAGON INN (1967), but I'm still waiting. It was restored and shown theatrically in 2016, when I saw it at Lincoln Center. I consider it Hu's best film. I recently saw Hu's LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN (1979), which was digitally restored by its lead actress, Hsu Feng! It played at the Metrograph in New York and is rumored to be an upcoming Criterion release. Here's hoping.

DRAGON INN:

23669242804_7a5d3f4c9d.jpg

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
With the upcoming release of Ken Russell's WOMEN IN LOVE, how about teaming up with BFI again for a remastering and Blu-Ray release of THE MUSIC LOVERS. Stunning visuals and great soundtrack, thanks to Andre Previn and the London Symphony Orchestra.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'd love to see Criterion work with WB on their silents and animation.

Any Powell & Pressburger is an instant buy for me.

Getting back StudioCanal titles from Lionsgate would be monumental.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks