What's new

Help needed with a Home Theater stage (1 Viewer)

karras

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
Hi,

I'm wondering and hoping that this would be the place to post and get some help with a Home Theater project of mine; it has nothing to do with equipment but finishing.

I'm building my very first HT and in finishing stages. I built a straight riser in the back to accommodate five seats for a second row and a curved stage in the front. I installed laminate flooring (I know some will disagree but after a long debate it's done). Now for the riser in the back, I was able to find a nice metal trim for the edge which matches the floor and screws in since the riser is straight. My big problem as you can guess is the stage in the front. I am unable to find a metal trim or anything that will curve and go over for a finish. Before installing I even looked at curved bullnose but was unable to find that. So I went ahead and installed the floor.

Does anyone have any recommendations/ideas on finishing the edge of the stage? I'm including pictures of both the riser with the metal trim and the stage to give you a better understanding of the situation.
riser.JPG
stage.JPG

Thanks in advance!

karras

Auditioning
Real Name
Damien
Hey guys sorry but any suggestion as to where (like a nother forum) I can ask if I'm in the wrong place? I'm normally very creative but seem to be at a loss here.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Not sure if this will work, but it might be worth considering. Use wood.

I used a local millwright and cabinet shop in town to make a custom smoked glass door for my equipment area. I supplied the glass and hardware to match my theater. It was perfect (well, I should have specified the type of wood to get a better grade for finish instead of paint-don't make that mistake) at a reasonable price-around $125, as I recall. It was also provided in an external frame for packaging to move it to the construction site for that price. I used another millwright shop in Cleveland, Tennessee that built a 6' diameter red oak double helix stairs with steamed and curved pieces, and installed it to fit in my great room going up to a loft. That was somewhat more expensive though.

Check with a local wood shop, cabinet maker or millwright. with an accurate set of measurements, they may be able to make something that could look good at a price more reasonable than you might expect.

Bobofbone

Second Unit
Real Name
Bob
Looking at your pictures, the curve on the front is not too bad. You may be able to obtain some molding from someplace like Lowes or Home Depot and bend and secure it in place fairly easily. You might have to miter it at the ends. With a bit of trial and error, it could look pretty good. I suspect you might be able to do the same with metal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks