What's new

Thank You, Universal, For Your Recent Catalog Blu-rays! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
There was a lengthy period a few years back when I considered Universal to be bottom-of-the-barrel in terms of getting classics out on Blu-ray, but suddenly you're producing great box sets and individual titles on your own label, plus licensing out like crazy to multiple smaller labels. Please don't think me ungrateful for jotting down some of your back catalog (including older Paramount films that you now control) that really deserves similar Blu-ray treatment:

*These are titles already available on Blu, but so far only from other countries.

THE HEIRESS
FIVE GRAVES TO CAIRO
ICEMAN
BEAU GESTE
DESTRY RIDES AGAIN
W.C. FIELDS - His best (especially THE BANK DICK, NEVER GIVE A SUCKER AN EVEN BREAK, IT'S A GIFT, etc.)
INVISIBLE MAN BOX SET (with A&C MEET; INVISIBLE WOMAN; etc.)*
CREATURE BOX SET (w/3D REVENGE OF THE CREATURE)
ABBOTT AND COSTELLO -Their best films (HOLD THAT GHOST, TIME OF THEIR LIVES, Many more)
THE SUSPECT (Charles Laughton)
CRISS CROSS
WINCHESTER '73
BEND OF THE RIVER*
FAR COUNTRY
TARANTULA*
THIS ISLAND EARTH*
FLOWER DRUM SONG
CAPTAIN NEWMAN, M.D.
ARABESQUE*
MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS
ANNE OF THE THOUSAND DAYS*
DAY OF THE JACKAL*
SLAUGHTERHOUSE FIVE
THE GREAT WALDO PEPPER*
THE BIG FIX (BLU)
PIRATES OF PENZANCE
MASK*
BILOXI BLUES
DEATH TAKES A HOLIDAY
THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1939)
GHOST BREAKERS
CHRISTMAS IN JULY
DR. CYCLOPS
THE LADY EVE
THE GLASS KEY*
THE BLUE DAHLIA*
ROAD TO MOROCCO
THIS GUN FOR HIRE
WAKE ISLAND
GOING MY WAY
MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK
THE LOST WEEKEND*
THE PALEFACE

Pretty overwhelming list, but I'm sure we'd all be grateful to see at least some of these upgraded to HD. Many thanks, and keep up the great work you've been doing during the past two years or so!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Please add
Sweet Charity ( out on Blu in France)
Throughly Modern Millie
Mirage
Come September
What's So Bad About Feeling Good?
Bedtime Story ( Brando and Niven)
The Chalk Garden
40 Pounds of Trouble
Flesh and Fantasy
This Earth Is Mine
Freud
Back Street
Isadora
The Great Imposter
Captain Newman MD
Diary of a Mad Housewife
Pete 'N Tillie

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Lost Weekend is Universal?

I'd think so, Universal own nearly all pre-fifties Paramount titles (just as well really). Universal license a lot of titles to companies in Germany.

...& you can add C.B. DeMille's, Unconquered (1947) to that list, it's down for a release in Germany in April (maybe, no exact release date yet).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Now that Woody Woodpecker is the star of a theatrical film, will any of Walter Lantz's cartoons be making the jump to Blu-ray any time soon?

And I'm glad to see TV coming out on Blu as well. If Mill Creek can do The Rockford Files, Miami Vice, and Quantum Leap, how about Murder, She Wrote? It was on Netflix in HD and looked great.

I'd also love to see them delve into their TV movie library. They basically invented it back in the day, although they weren't alone. They also own one of the first gay-themed TV movies, That Certain Summer, with Hal Holbrook and Scott Jacoby.* Its director, Lamont Johnson, died in Monterey, California in 2010, the year before I moved there.

*Thus preemptively linking Designing Women (where Hal was Julia's boyfriend Reese and was married to Dixie Carter in real life) and The Golden Girls (where Scott was Dorothy's son Michael). And since Levinson and Link wrote the teleplay, that links them both to Murder, She Wrote.

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
More from Douglas Sirk's Universal period. So far only All That Heaven Allows (1955) and Imitation Of Life (1959) are available on blu ray in R1. How about the rest: Thunder On The Hill, The Lady Pays Off, Weekend With Father, No Room For The Groom, Has Anybody Seen My Gal, Meet Me At The Fair, Take Me To Town, All I Desire, Taza Son Of Cochise, Magnificent Obsession, Sign of the Pagan, Captain Lightfoot, There's Always Tomorrow, Written On The Wind, Battle Hymn, Interlude, Tarnished Angels and A Time To Love And A Time To Die.

wesaussie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Anderson
I'd like a decent widescreen version of The Purple Mask. The only version I was able to get hold of was the terrible pan and scan version from Italy

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'd think so, Universal own nearly all pre-fifties Paramount titles (just as well really). Universal license a lot of titles to companies in Germany.

Yes, Universal owns the pre-1948 Paramount library due to a deal struck between the companies at the time. There are some exceptions of course but for the most part if it was a Paramount release from 1948 or earlier, rights are held by Universal.

And, while acknowledging the DVD and blu ray releases in France and Germany (a number of which I have), and the Shout deal, and the releases from the now-moribund Universal Vault MOD-DVD program, I've been disappointed for years in the relative lack of output from what is, outside of WB's, one of the biggest film libraries.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
More from Douglas Sirk's Universal period. So far only All That Heaven Allows (1955) and Imitation Of Life (1959) are available on blu ray in R1. How about the rest: Thunder On The Hill, The Lady Pays Off, Weekend With Father, No Room For The Groom, Has Anybody Seen My Gal, Meet Me At The Fair, Take Me To Town, All I Desire, Taza Son Of Cochise, Magnificent Obsession, Sign of the Pagan, Captain Lightfoot, There's Always Tomorrow, Written On The Wind, Battle Hymn, Interlude, Tarnished Angels and A Time To Love And A Time To Die.
Most of those titles I have on Blu Ray. Purchased them in France.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Bad news....THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK is with Paramount, at least they issued it on Region 1 DVD. The other Paramount/Sturges titles are with Universal. Might be hope if Criterion licensed it from them.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Its' a
Bad news....THE MIRACLE OF MORGAN'S CREEK is with Paramount, at least they issued it on Region 1 DVD. The other Paramount/Sturges titles are with Universal. Might be hope if Criterion licensed it from them.
Ot's available on Blu in France in a Preston Sturges boxset and also in HD on iTunes.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
My big guilty pleasure is Swashbuckler. I'm hoping it makes it to Blu-ray some day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks