What's new

Wireless speakers (1 Viewer)

Bogd199

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
im having a a hard time trying to run speaker wire to the rear of my room. What is the best setup for wireless surround. I have Ann Onkyo1009 reciever and love it but need my surround speakers? I was thinking of going with a sonso set up but have my concerns about optical only on them. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Does the receiver have provisions to send a wireless signal to active rear-channel speakers such as Sonos (I guess that's what you meant by "sonso")?

If not, the only practical solution is a transmitter connected to the receiver’s rear-channel pre-out jacks, sending the signal to a receiver that connects to an amplifier at the back of the room, which then the speakers connect to.

The problem then becomes finding a transmitter / receiver system that’s stable and reliable. Bluetooth options are the cheapest, and also the most unreliable, as the crowded 2.4 GHz band is prone to interference from all kinds of stuff in your house, and maybe even your neighbor’s, if you’re close enough to them.

If you can’t get a Bluetooth system to work, the only alternative is a system from the pro audio field, where they’ve been doing wireless systems for nearly three decades and have it down to a science. They promise the best wireless stability and sound quality, but the cheapest solutions start at about $300 and go up from there.

As you can see, by the time you shell out for the transmitter / receiver system and outboard amplifier, you could probably pay a professional to do the wiring for you.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Can you place the speakers on the side walls? In a 5.1 setup the surrounds go on the side facing into the room just behind the main listening area. They don't have to be high up on the wall either. If you can run wires this would be optimal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kisanwiki
Recent bookmarks