What's new

Pre-Order The Black Scorpion (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
199811_front.jpg

The link below will take you directly to the product on Amazon. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
Great news: the list of 1950s sci-fi and monster classics not on BD grows ever smaller. Thankfully I haven't yet got around to replacing the original 1.33:1 open matte DVD with the corrected 1.85:1 Warner Archive version. Now I can jump straight to widescreen HD instead – thank you Warner!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Another major bucket list title off the list - all three films WAC announced yesterday will replace my DVDs.. I was three for three with their announcements - The Black Scorpion was the biggest announcement of the three. I like the Lang films a lot too but Im a life long monster movie lover :D

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Just received and watched the Blu-ray of “The Black Scorpion” tonight.
The encoding is poor,
and this only adds to making all the many (and might I add, many) opticals look even worse than they should:
All the dissolves stay in the lower rez optical from the beginning of the shot going into the dissolve and all the way to the end of the shot coming from the dissolve — Yes, I know it was done a lot in the 1950s.

Yes, there are many composite optical shots in the film, but this encoding is poor for many "clean" shots.
I really don't understand what happened here, as Warner usually does nice work.

But, opticals aside (which is a baked-in problem), the encoding on this disc makes for some shots (even those not in an optical) look messy.

Weakest job that I have even seen from Warner Brothers.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Just received and watched the Blu-ray of “The Black Scorpion” tonight.
The encoding is poor,
and this only adds to making all the many (and might I add, many) opticals look even worse than they should:
All the dissolves stay in the lower rez optical from the beginning of the shot going into the dissolve and all the way to the end of the shot coming from the dissolve — Yes, I know it was done a lot in the 1950s.

Yes, there are many composite optical shots in the film, but this encoding is poor for many "clean" shots.
I really don't understand what happened here, as Warner usually does nice work.

But, opticals aside (which is a baked-in problem), the encoding on this disc makes for some shots (even those not in an optical) look messy.

Weakest job that I have even seen from Warner Brothers.
:(

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Amazon has delayed shipping on this until the second week of April.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I didn't find the encode all that bad when I was watching it this afternoon. Yes, there is softness there, but there's a bunch of good detail here, too. Not as entertaining as Them! or Tarantula, but it still entertained me, and I'm delighted to have it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks