What's new

Epson 3100 vs Epson 4000 4Ke (1 Viewer)

Trivium91

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Hi Guys, i finishing my basement and have an area dedicated for the home theatre. I have already done the rough in for the electrical and have a plan for the surround speakers ect. Im putting the cart before the horse a bit but ive been looking at projectors and i found that the epson 3100 should suit all my needs however the epson 4000 which is double the price offers the step up in resolution. Im wondering if this is going to be worth it for me? I will be projecting on a 92" screen from about 10FT for the first row of seats to 13FT for the second row of seats. Im wondering if spending the extra money will make this noticeable at these distances.

For whats its worth i have a 65" 4K tv upstairs and i have yet not displayed 4K content on it. Most of the viewing i do is on netflix or other streaming programs which does not have alot of 4K streaming yet. I have determined that 16FT away from my 65" in the living room upstairs will not be worth the extra bandwidth for streaming 4k content due to the distance which is why i have not even bothered. I might put in the extra effort to purchase more 4k blue-rays or stream the 4k content downstairs though since it would primary be used on the weekends. That said, is it still noticeable or worth it sitting 10FT away from a 92" projected screen?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Kevin,

I would say that it depends on how picky you are. The 4000 will also have better contrast (black levels, shadow detail), as it has an advertised 140,000:1 vs the 60,000:1 of the 3100 which may be a plus. Do you plan to watch a lot of movies in this room with the lights off completely? If so, the 4000 is probably worth it. The 4000 also supports a wider color gamut, which may be useful if you ever watch UHD streams or play games on newer consoles.

Dave

Xiaopo

Auditioning
Real Name
Jason Liu
In theory the 4000 which adopts Epson's 4K enhancement technology will project sharper video images than the 3100, though the 4000's resolution is simulated by flashing the 2 million pixel Full HD 1080p sensor twice per frame which is half of the 8 million pixels of the true 4K resolution.

As I don't have an Epson 4000 or 3100 I'm afraid you'll have to go to an Epson offline store to use the 4000 and 3100 to find out how sharper the 4000's projection image is than the 3100's before making a purchase decision.

My home projector is JMGO SC which is a laser projector running on Android OS with 1080p native resolution and 2000ANSI Lumen brightness. (JMGO is a smart projector designer from China, http://en.jmgo.com). Below are the photos of the SC's look and projection image i took with my iPhone 6S.

6.jpg
5.jpg

Trivium91

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin
Kevin,

I would say that it depends on how picky you are. The 4000 will also have better contrast (black levels, shadow detail), as it has an advertised 140,000:1 vs the 60,000:1 of the 3100 which may be a plus. Do you plan to watch a lot of movies in this room with the lights off completely? If so, the 4000 is probably worth it. The 4000 also supports a wider color gamut, which may be useful if you ever watch UHD streams or play games on newer consoles.

Dave

What about the Optoma UHD50? its full 4k and cheaper than the epson 4000?

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
What about the Optoma UHD50? its full 4k and cheaper than the epson 4000?

on the Optoma UHD50:

No Full HD 3D. To the dismay of 3D fans, many of the new lower priced 4K projectors lack Full HD 3D capability, and this is one of them. This projector will do PC-ready 3D, but not 3D from a Blu-ray player. If you are budgeting below $2000, your 3D + 4K options at the moment are the BenQ HT2550 at $1499 and the Epson Home Cinema 4000 at $1799.

above from
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-UHD50-review.htm

and from HighDefDigest

Optoma UHD50 4K Ultra HD Home Theater Projector
Reviewed by:
Joshua Zyber
Review Date:
March 12th, 2018
Manufacturer:
Optoma
Overview - With a price point under $1,500, the new Optoma UHD50 DLP home theater projector brings true 4k Ultra HD resolution and a host of other features that look great when listed on a spec sheet to the entry-level market. Unfortunately, the projector's poor picture quality undermines its potential value. Skip it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks