What's new

Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker (2019) Non-Spoilers!

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Title: Star Wars: Episode IX (2019)

Genre: Action, Adventure, Science Fiction

Director: J.J. Abrams

Cast: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Adam Driver, Ian McDiarmid, Billy Dee Williams, Joonas Suotamo, Naomi Ackie, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Kelly Marie Tran, Domhnall Gleeson, Keri Russell, Richard E. Grant, Dominic Monaghan, Matt Smith, Lupita Nyong'o, Anthony Daniels, Jimmy Vee, Dave Chapman, Brian Herring, Billie Lourd, Greg Grunberg

Release: 2019-05-23

Plot: The next installment in the franchise, and the conclusion of the new 'Star Wars' trilogy.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think they have a real uphill climb with this one, and that comes down to the death of Carrie Fisher. Riann Johnson torched a lot of the story threads Abrams and Kasdan set up in The Force Awakens, but the one real thing he set up for Episode IX was Leia playing a more central supporting role after Han had VII and Luke had VIII.

I just can't think of a satisfying explanation for her absence that won't feel like a letdown.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The script for Episode IX is done and the film will begin shooting at the end of July.

Who wrote the script? He named him. What did he do before, TV?

Last edited:

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Chris Terrio - he wrote Argo (which was very good; won an Oscar for it) and Batman v Superman and Justice League (meh).

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I think they have a real uphill climb with this one, and that comes down to the death of Carrie Fisher. Riann Johnson torched a lot of the story threads Abrams and Kasdan set up in The Force Awakens, but the one real thing he set up for Episode IX was Leia playing a more central supporting role after Han had VII and Luke had VIII.

I just can't think of a satisfying explanation for her absence that won't feel like a letdown.
True but I also can’t think of anyone watching who won’t be aware of it and will accept a reasonable line in the crawl.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
It doesn't have to be in the crawl and I bet the story doesn't start immediately after The Last Jedi. I bet it will be much later. Maybe even 10 years later.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I would love a sizable time jump. Maybe not a decade, but four or five years. The Last Jedi picked up immediately after The Force Awakens, and transpired over a very short period of time, as little as two days but certainly no longer than a week or two. They need a time jump to explain the actors' real world aging. It also would open up a fertile storytelling window for the ancillary media, the conflict between the First Order and the new Rebellion.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I wouldn't be surprised if the first line of the crawl was "General Leia Organa has died in battle." If I was writing IX, I would have its entire structure motivated by Leia's off-screen death; in other words, the movie's momentum comes from the inspiration of her memory. That way, she would be in the movie much the same way Luke was in episode VII without actually being seen most of the time.

MattBradley

Second Unit
Real Name
Matt Bradley
Think I'd prefer to see one character inform another character of her loss with feeling.

You could have Kylo order the First Order to capture Leia and she gets killed in the process. Could be interesting to see Kylo's reaction to such a blunder.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I'm excited to see what Abrams does with Rose. She's a character he never would have created, but I think he'll be able to utilize her better than Johnson did.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I like Argo. Abrams and Kasdan didn't do anything storywise?

Yes and no. The script is (or was, if it's done as Abrams said) being co-written by Abrams and Terrio. Kasdan is not involved in this one as far as I know. I remember him saying before that Solo would be his final Star Wars film.

Regarding Williams, his decision for Episode IX to be his last one doesn't surprise me much. Since they've already begun using other composers for the non-Skywalker saga films, the transition will make sense. But I'm glad he has done this trilogy so far and will finish it.

Although he hasn't officially retired, he would certainly be able to if he so chose. And he basically has except for Spielberg and Star Wars. The last time Williams composed a non-Spielberg, non-Star Wars film was Memoirs of a Geisha in 2005. It makes sense why he would want to step away once the main series is completed; it would be unreasonable for him to be expected to do a new score for a Star Wars film every year forever, which is basically what Disney intends to make So ending the trilogy will be a fitting way for him to bow out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
It was going to happen at some point. Williams' scores are absolutely synonymous with Star Wars though, and I'm sure some of his themes will carry forward.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Oh, for sure. They'll continue to use his themes whenever appropriate. Like I said a couple posts ago, though, this was inevitable, and if he is going to make this choice, Episode IX is an appropriate endpoint for him

This would have been a lot more shocking to me if Williams had also scored Rogue One and Solo, but since he has elected not to be the main composer for the spinoffs, I always expected this to be the case with IX as his final one.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This will be one thrilling and sad soundtrack album to play for the first time. I can't wait to hear his send-off to Star Wars. I would love for him to compose an End Credits suite that is basically a farewell to the series, even if it has very little to do thematically with Episode IX. Better yet, let him compose a farewell overture to play just before the opening logos of the movie. I doubt they do that but, it would be amazing.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks