What's new

Pioneer Laser Disc CDL 99 Trouble (1 Viewer)

Mr Roberts

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Northington
I have had a dedicated Home theater since 1993, I have had many great components and A/V Processors Amps, Line Quadrupler's, Projectors, Speakers, Subs ,Crestron control. VCR, Laser DIsc, DVD, to BLU-Ray. I have 2 of about everything one operating and a parts unit as well as the units became cheap and obsolete. I believe in getting the most out of my components. Currently I still have a Sony G90 Projector which is obsolete by most peoples standards that sell projectors. But it still gives the most film like movie presentation next to being at the theater that I have ever seen. I have looked long and hard at whats available and have not been impressed yet. I would really like to be impressed as the G90 is an ongoing adjustment hobby. If it wasn't for the result you get after the occasional tweaking it would not be worth the time and effort. If you have ever seen one of these with a line quadrupler or a moome card installed in the option slot its as close to a film image as you can get. No comparison to a manufactured look as the new projection TVs and projectors have, they do not come close in my opinion to The G90. Of course with a price tag near $40K in the day you expect a great image.

Okay now that you know something about me can anyone help with a Pioneer CLD laser disc S3 issue it plays both sides fine but gets crossed up somehow when its time for the tray to come out to remove the disc. I have had the cover off and ran it manually with the remote and it works fine but playing a movie all the way through both sides is when it gets crossed up somehow.

Any help or

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
First question -- what does "Crossed Up" mean. Will the disc not eject, does it go into replay mode and repeat the disc or side, will it keep spinning and not stop, or something else

For technical support the best person possible on the East Coast and possibly in the US for PIONEER LD Players is Kurtis Bahr in Virginia -- krbahr on forum.lddb.com Kurtis used to post here occasionally, but I haven't seen him in a while. If you're other places in the US he may know a contact person assuming he can't walk you through a quick fix.

His last email he listed on lddb
[email protected]

Mr Roberts

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Northington
First question -- what does "Crossed Up" mean. Will the disc not eject, does it go into replay mode and repeat the disc or side, will it keep spinning and not stop, or something else

For technical support the best person possible on the East Coast and possibly in the US for PIONEER LD Players is Kurtis Bahr in Virginia -- krbahr on forum.lddb.com Kurtis used to post here occasionally, but I haven't seen him in a while. If you're other places in the US he may know a contact person assuming he can't walk you through a quick fix.

His last email he listed on lddb
[email protected]
Thanks for responding,

The laser disc plays both the A and B side flawlessly. but at the end of the B side it goes to the back of the player where the mechanism rotates the head or reader it gets stuck at the half gear track just as it comes around to travel froward to eject the disc. It will go back and forth about 3/8 of and inch each way and then the unit will shut down either immediately or after 2 or 3 seconds of the back and forth movements. I can't make it do it with using the remote and skipping the movie. But I let the movie play through and it does it evry time. It just started doing this last week. I don;t use it that much had it about 15 years. Hope some one has seen this issue before sorry the first description of the problem was a little sketchy.

Regards Bob

David Norman

Senior HTF Member
I think Kurits is probably your best bet. I could suggest a couple things to try, but without seeing it (and beign my player to experiment with) I'm not sure I'd want to be the culprit.

Maybe even a Smartphone video sent to Kurtis might make it easier though most of the things that can go wrong he's probably seen. If the gears are obviously not damage (missing tooth), nothing is obstructing the laser mech from moving along the track, it almost sounds like a lubrication issue where the mech is sticking on the rail. Any grinding or unusual sounds from the mechanism as it gets hung?

Mr Roberts

Auditioning
Real Name
Bob Northington
Lubricating was the first thing I tried. No particular noise other than a little motor whine as it tries to go back and forth that 3/8 of an ich I mentioned . I think a smartphone video to your friend is a great idea. How do I get in touch with him.

Regards Bob

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks