What's new

Boris Karloff & Bela Lugosi: 4-Movie Horror Collection (1 Viewer)

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
There's no mention of it on that page.

As it reads it's actually the correct URL for the product page, but something about the way HTF handles a posted link makes it unrecognizable at the site, so it defaults to the home page. Easiest way to find the set is to search for just Lugosi and it's the first of resulting hits.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
81P7-EbgONL._SL1500_.jpg
81EGzsIDbAL._SL1500_.jpg

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Interesting, I have the old Bela Lugosi collection that had the same 4 movies but with Rue Morgue as well, but I think it was a single disc if I remember right... It seemed okay from my recollection though. Not a lot of compression artifacts.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
1445342232-0.jpg

Bela (Lugosi) doesn't look as good in that still from THE BLACK CAT (1934) utilized on the packaging cover as he does in the actual film itself. Strangely he appears much "older" in that unflattering photo.

For those who missed out in the original "single disc" issue of this Universal Pictures Karloff-Lugosi film collection then this is a good opportunity to get a better issue on two discs.

Who can resist the two (highly promoted) "Titans of Terror" of Universal?!

In my own estimation Lugosi towers over top-billed Karloff in both THE BLACK CAT (1934) and THE RAVEN (1935) albeit Boris finally comes into his own in THE INVISIBLE RAY (1936) as Hungarian scientist Janos Rukh with Bela relegated to a lesser role as Dr. Felix Benet.

Ironically it is (third billed) Stanley Ridges in the dual role of College Professor George Kingsley and hardened gangster Red Cannon who impressively surpasses both the so-called "stars" Karloff and Lugosi.

It would be nice if they could have been issued in blu-ray but (if history repeats itself as with THE HAMMER COLLECTION) that may yet still come about.

villians-sometimes-sleep.jpg

Jeff T.

;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks