What's new

Yamaha RX-V483BL - video issues (1 Viewer)

hasselburglar

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex H
Hey all

I have my TV mounted on an exposed brick wall in my living room, and, in the quest to best hide any clutter, I moved all of my AV equipment down into the basement and ran all of the cables through the floor. This includes two 25' HDMI cables, and I had an appleTV and Fios STB (Motorola QIP 7323 2) running through an older Yamaha unit (HTR-6130) without issue. I recently got a great deal on a RX-V483BL and want it to replace the older rig, but when I wire everything up as I had it with the HTR 6130, the STB will show a picture for about 10-15 seconds and then go blackish green with intermittent flashes of snow on the lower half of the screen, and the sound will sometimes stay live. If I switch to the Apple TV, the picture will go in and out every few seconds. Out of curiosity, I plugged my xbox into the second 25' HDMI, and ran that through the 483 without any issues.

My best guess is that the new Yamaha unit is having trouble pushing the signal from the STB and the ATV through such a long cable run, as if I go direct into the cable box there is no issue. I will likely require an active cable, but I wanted to post the question here before I made any purchases.

Thanks for your help!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think 25' is borderline for hdmi. The first thing I'd do, if you can, is try a Redmere hdmi cable from monoprice and see if that fixes it. Make sure you get it set up the correct direction. It has designated source and TV sides to work.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Make sure the receiver is not set to upconvert everything to 4k, this can cause what you are seeing.

hasselburglar

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex H
I think 25' is borderline for hdmi. The first thing I'd do, if you can, is try a Redmere hdmi cable from monoprice and see if that fixes it. Make sure you get it set up the correct direction. It has designated source and TV sides to work.

Cool, already had one of them in my cart!

Make sure the receiver is not set to upconvert everything to 4k, this can cause what you are seeing.

I'll take a run through the manual today to make sure it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks