Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Matt Hough

The Maze 3D Blu-ray Review
mazetop4-1024x568.jpg

The Maze, produced at Allied Artists with an obviously modest budget and brief production schedule, still proves to be a moody, involving little thriller, and the 3-D Film Archive has resurrected this shuddery tale with all of its most appealing qualities intact.

[review]

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
So glad that you enjoyed it, Matt.

THE MAZE was brought back to stereoscopic life and these important individuals made it happen:

Jerry Lewis introduced me to Martin Scorsese on October 6, 2015. That meeting at the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, New York cut through miles of red tape and started the ball rolling immediately on this project.

Martin Scorsese and Margaret Bodde at the Film Foundation insured that we had 4K scans of the left/right 35mm camera negatives and provided much-needed funding in order to make that happen.

Laura Thornburg and Andrea Kalas at the Paramount Archive provided access to the camera original 35mm elements. The 4K scans were done at PRO-TEK in Burbank, CA.

Richard Lorber
and Frank Tarzi at Kino Lorber Studio Classics secured the license.

Greg Kintz did the painstaking 3-D image restoration plus scene-to-scene grading of the raw scans.

Thad Komorowski did the meticulous dirt and damage clean-up.

Eckhard Büttner recreated the lost stereophonic sound from mono optical elements.

Jack Theakston helped with research and QC on the work-in-progress.

The entire 3-D Film Archive team is VERY proud of this restoration!

Last edited:

MitchellD

Stunt Coordinator
A few weeks ago, I got to see the final check disc for The Maze. The entire 3D Film Archive team should be very proud of this restoration, they did a stupendous job. I have seen The Maze in 35mm dual projector polarized 3D, and quite honestly, the bluray looked better. As always, Greg did a fantastic job of aligning the sides, as did Eckhard in recreating the lost stereophonic sound. Personally, I liked what he did better than many of the Chase stereo recreations I have heard over the years. This sounds like a real stereo mix.

The entire team has my thanks for bringing this to Bluray.

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
As to sealed lips for an older film:

When I was a kid, I went to a friends house to watch 1953 "Invaders from Mars" on TV
(since my Father & Brother were watching some sporting event on the single TV at home).

Well, some jerk that was visiting came into the room and said, "oh, I've seen this. It's the one that ends with the . . . "

I don't know the guy's name nor do I remember his face, but I have hated him all my life.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
As to sealed lips for an older film:

When I was a kid, I went to a friends house to watch 1953 "Invaders from Mars" on TV
(since my Father & Brother were watching some sporting event on the single TV at home).

Well, some jerk that was visiting came into the room and said, "oh, I've seen this. It's the one that ends with the . . . "

I don't know the guy's name nor do I remember his face, but I have hated him all my life.
Hear, hear – I wasn't even there and I hate him too! Can't stand folk who bandy spoilers around, whether in real life or online (some here are guilty and need to learn how to use spoiler tags). It's so easy to discuss or review any film without totally ruinng it for others. Almost invariably the witless idiots who do so are simply showing off that they've already seen it. Oneupmanship at its worst.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I've bumped this review back to the front page for those who got The Maze this week and are watching it this weekend to have a place to talk about it rather than weighing down Bob's personal thread (though I'm sure he won't mind which thread you use as long as you talk about it!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks