Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Neil Middlemiss

Downsizing Blu-ray Review
downsizing-matt-damon-paramount-1024x659.jpg

“An interesting failure” is how a fellow Home Theater Forum member Jake Lipson described Downsizing. And that’s a fair assessment. There are wonderful ideas at play and a unique perspective in exploring those ideas. But the film falters in its conceptual approach. There are many facets to Alexander Payne’s examination and exploration of the downsizing phenomena and its repercussions. But with so much introduced, the story meanders too much trying to touch upon them all. It also shifts gears a couple of times. That’s a welcome choice, but coupled with its shifting ideas, it ends up feeling unfocused.

[review]

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
And the misunderstanding of what this film is continues on FandangoNow....

FN_Downsizing.jpg

I understand including Sideways and The Descendants, but Honey I Shrunk the Kids, Multiplicity, The Unsinkable Molly Brown, Shall We Dance? If you continue to scroll, Beetlejuice, Barefoot in the Park, The Awful Truth also appear.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I can't possibly understand the algorhythm used to generate such lists, but maybe they thought they were recommending The Unshrinkable Molly Brown...?

I don't even want to speculate as to why they thought to include The Station Agent! :D

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Neil Middlemiss

Downsizing Blu-ray Review
downsizing-matt-damon-paramount-1024x659.jpg

“An interesting failure” is how a fellow Home Theater Forum member Jake Lipson described Downsizing. And that’s a fair assessment. There are wonderful ideas at play and a unique perspective in exploring those ideas. But the film falters in its conceptual approach. There are many facets to Alexander Payne’s examination and exploration of the downsizing phenomena and its repercussions. But with so much introduced, the story meanders too much trying to touch upon them all. It also shifts gears a couple of times. That’s a welcome choice, but coupled with its shifting ideas, it ends up feeling unfocused.

[review]
Hong Chau should of been nominated for supporting actress oscar. Film should of won for best visual effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks