What's new

which way to mount surrounds (1 Viewer)

bobinaz

Auditioning
Real Name
BoB
I am replacing some smaller surround speakers - Minimus 7, with some Boston HD8 speakers.
The location in the room is the back corners near the ceiling angled downward some. They will be about 6 inches from the back wall pointing over the heads of the sweet spot on the couch on that same wall. My question is should I mount the speaker with the woofer closest to the wall or the tweeter closest to the wall? Would it even matter?
My fronts are phase tech 9.1's, phase tech 3.5c center. I have a phase tech octave 1.0 sub and a monitor audio rsw12 sub.
The fronts are powered by a nakamichi ps5 amp, pre-out from Yamaha rx-v2500. The Yamaha runs the rest of the speakers. thanks for any help.

bobinaz

Auditioning
Real Name
BoB
The couch is against the back wall of the room, but the speakers will be mounted on the walls perpendicular to the back wall about a foot outward from the back wall near the ceiling, kinda in the corner. It is a 5.1 system. I was happy with the sound of the previous speakers in the same place, but was wondering with these larger speakers, if the woofer / tweeter orientation - with the speaker on its side, it mattered which way to lay it on its side.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
They must not be HD8s, because I looked those up and they're just regular bookshelf speakers. Woofer and tweeter in the front like usual.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
They must not be HD8s, because I looked those up and they're just regular bookshelf speakers. Woofer and tweeter in the front like usual.
I think the OP wants to mount them sideways, and is asking if he should mount them as follows (with the left margin being the left wall looking at the rear of the room):

Boston_HD8_TW.jpg

OR

Boston_HD8_WT.jpg

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ah. I was picturing a surround speaker with drivers on the sides.

In that case, I really don't think it makes much of a difference. I guess I'd lean toward the tweeter to the back.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I would lean toward the tweeter to the middle of the room not the back wall

bobinaz

Auditioning
Real Name
BoB
Yes, I was asking about the orientation of the back surround. Thanks for the replies. I was leaning towards having the tweeter more to the front and not running along the back wall. thanks to all

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks