• Monty Python’s Flying Circus
• Monty Python’s Fliegender Zirkus
• Monty Python’s Personal Best
• Monty Python Best Bits (mostly)
• Monty Python Live (mostly): One Down, Five to Go
• Monty Python Conquers America
• The Meaning of Monty Python
• Monty Python: The Meaning of Live

… as well as “Eric Idle’s What About Dick?”.

*excluding the US, which is following later in the year, + not all titles will be available at the same time in all territories. Check your local Netflix listings for full details.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
In the new clip show MONTY PYTHON's BEST BITS I noticed they use the censored version of the 'Prince' animated segment, with the bizarrley inserted audio changing the word 'Cancer' to 'Gangrene'. I haven't had a chance to find the piece in the FLYING CIRCUS episode to see if it's still censored there.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
That "cancer" / "gangrene" moment is in Season 2 Episode 6, if that helps.

It's uncensored in the first movie, And Now For Something Completely Different.

The censorship of the BBC version just shows how lazy they were about it because it switches from a woman's voice to a man's, and it breaks up the background music. And if cancer was not considered okay to joke about, then why was gangrene not judged offensive to amputees who lost limbs to it?

And there's also the question of this, which was on the Paramount VHS release but not the A&E DVDs:

Coressel

Supporting Actor
So I just discovered that the aforementioned bits are cut in the Nextflix stream as well. :huh:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Will subscribe to Netflix at the end of the month just to see Orson Welles's The Other Side of the Wind and will check out some of the Python episodes to see how they look compared to my 16 Ton dvd box set.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
...and will check out some of the Python episodes to see how they look compared to my 16 Ton dvd box set.
They are the same as the 16 Ton set, only to me the picture quality isn't quite as good as watching the DVD. Looks like they simply ripped the DVDs for the Netflix stream.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
They are the same as the 16 Ton set, only to me the picture quality isn't quite as good as watching the DVD. Looks like they simply ripped the DVDs for the Netflix stream.
We no longer have Canadian Netflix, but I noticed the MPFC episodes looked filmic. Is it the same with the U.S. feed?

CHEERS! :)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
So I just discovered that the aforementioned bits are cut in the Nextflix stream as well. :huh:
I'm afraid those cuts are burned in on the Pal master tapes. The old VHS and PBS reruns were from the (mostly) uncensored Devillier-Donnegan NTSC masters from the early 80's that are long gone. Oh well.

We no longer have Canadian Netflix, but I noticed the MPFC episodes looked filmic. Is it the same with the U.S. feed?

CHEERS! :)
Netflix can't do 60FPS (or in this case 50) period.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks