What's new

Musicals Filmed from Stage (1 Viewer)

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
We were watching Phantom of the Opera Live at Royal Albert Hall this weekend (IMHO much superior to the movie version). Really enjoyed watching the STAGE version. This got me wondering what musicals have been filmed as a stage production. I know Top Banana was one. Any others?

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
We were watching Phantom of the Opera Live at Royal Albert Hall this weekend (IMHO much superior to the movie version). Really enjoyed watching the STAGE version. This got me wondering what musicals have been filmed as a stage production. I know Top Banana was one. Any others?
Sunday in the Park with George and Into the Woods are examples of some musicals that have been taped for broadcast as well as a young Hugh Jackman in Oklahoma! :cool:

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’ve seen Pippin, Barnum, Cats, Working, and Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

More recently Company (two versions), Holiday Inn and She Loves Me (new revival).

BroadwayHD.com has multiple titles listed

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Billy Elliott, By Jeeves, Camelot, Candide, Fosse, Gypsy, Jacques Brel Is Alive ... , Kiss Me Kate, The Magic Show,
Memphis, Miss Saigon, Naked Boys Singing, New Faces, Nunsense (including sequels), Oh! Calcutta, Passion, Love
Never Dies, Putting It Together, Rent, Showboat, Shrek, Smokey Joe's Cafe, Sophisticated Ladies, Tap Dogs, The Ten
Commandments, Tintypes, Victor/Victoria and Working plus numerous Gilbert and Sullivan productions. And that's just
a start.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
ps: Plus, if you still have a VHS player, the following were released in that format, but haven't been legally
transferred to DVD yet: Eubie!, George M., The Light In the Piazza, Pacific Overtures, Purlie,and Scrambled
Feet. And, of course, there are numerous In Concert versions that are very satisfying.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I’ve seen Pippin, Barnum, Cats, Working, and Joseph And The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

More recently Company (two versions), Holiday Inn and She Loves Me (new revival).

BroadwayHD.com has multiple titles listed

As usual - i'm learning a lot. I wasn't even aware of BroadwayHD. I hate streaming but...

bigshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen
Almost every single opera on blu-ray.

Several Marx Bros movies... most notably Coconuts, Animal Crackers and Room Service.

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
While FALSETTOLAND and the London FOLLIES were filmed, neither is available on DVD or Blu-Ray at this time.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Just received the 25th anniversary performance of Miss Saigon from the UK. It is all region.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Romance, Romance without, alas, the Broadway stars, but the two leads are talented enough, and the supporting players are okay as well.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Unfortunately, a few of the ones that were mentioned were cut down from their full versions when they were recorded. The ones that come to mind are Pippin, The Magic Show, and Working. For some reason, Stephen Schwartz has bad luck, I guess.

Working wasn't really a recording of the stage production. It was just parts of the show that were filmed on studio sets, I believe for Public Television.

Pippin had at least a couple of full performances of the touring cast featuring William Katt, Martha Raye, and Chita Rivera filmed, but it was chopped up quite a bit in the final edit. I have a copy of the rough edit that contains the entire show. There are alternate shots and performances, in some cases, than what ended up being released. Sadly, Martha Raye was having problems remembering lines in the rough edit.

The Magic Show is like a different beast altogether from the Broadway version. It has a very different book and leaves out quite a bit. Although it was never exactly a genius piece of Theatre, the version available on VHS and DVD is pretty dire.

The version of Cats that was released some time ago, though studio-bound, is a pretty good representation of the original stage production.

You can often catch some really nicely-filmed stage productions on PBS on Great Performances and Live from Lincoln Center. Sadly, many of these never get released to home video due to rights issues. Just this past year, they had She Loves Me!, Holiday Inn, and Falsettoland, not to mention several non-musical plays. One more reason to be grateful for Public Broadcasting.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
Unfortunately, a few of the ones that were mentioned were cut down from their full versions when they were recorded. The ones that come to mind are Pippin, The Magic Show, and Working. For some reason, Stephen Schwartz has bad luck, I guess.

Working wasn't really a recording of the stage production. It was just parts of the show that were filmed on studio sets, I believe for Public Television.

Pippin had at least a couple of full performances of the touring cast featuring William Katt, Martha Raye, and Chita Rivera filmed, but it was chopped up quite a bit in the final edit. I have a copy of the rough edit that contains the entire show. There are alternate shots and performances, in some cases, than what ended up being released. Sadly, Martha Raye was having problems remembering lines in the rough edit.

The Magic Show is like a different beast altogether from the Broadway version. It has a very different book and leaves out quite a bit. Although it was never exactly a genius piece of Theatre, the version available on VHS and DVD is pretty dire.

The version of Cats that was released some time ago, though studio-bound, is a pretty good representation of the original stage production.

You can often catch some really nicely-filmed stage productions on PBS on Great Performances and Live from Lincoln Center. Sadly, many of these never get released to home video due to rights issues. Just this past year, they had She Loves Me!, Holiday Inn, and Falsettoland, not to mention several non-musical plays. One more reason to be grateful for Public Broadcasting.

I was actually in the theatre in Hamilton Ontario Canada (about one hour from Toronto) when Pippin was filmed. The theatre was state of the art at that time and had only recently opened. I remember blinding lights and Bob Fossie running around. I also remember the show which I found mediocre at best and have never really warmed to. We were all asked to stay in the seats as they did several re-takes.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long

Wow. Thanks for the added info. I'm aware of the Magic Show mess. I saw it live and on VHS - I also was lucky to meet Doug Henning on a couple of occasions.
Saw Cats in London and almost went to sleep but I also saw Phantom (original cast) and was mesmerized. Haven't seen the Pippin yet.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
I was actually in the theatre in Hamilton Ontario Canada (about one hour from Toronto) when Pippin was filmed. The theatre was state of the art at that time and had only recently opened. I remember blinding lights and Bob Fossie running around. I also remember the show which I found mediocre at best and have never really warmed to. We were all asked to stay in the seats as they did several re-takes.
We have only been to one taping of a show. It was the last Victor Borge PBS special. Just like you we had the bright lights shining in our eyes and an overlit stage and we PAID for the tickets and were not told they were taping. But Victor was wonderful and we were lucky to see him shortly before his passing.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The mid-1960s D'Oyly Carte production of THE MIKADO was filmed on stage and played in movie theaters for a brief time in early 1967. I went, and then dragged my family to it as an excuse to go back. It was a thrilling revelation, being able to see the "real thing" at that time. Miraculously, it's available on a DVD, though possibly not in the aspect ratio or any other quality it was originally presented in.

(I recall both the movie theater and the time of year, as that theater played YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE just a few months later.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks