What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Jumanji (1995) -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I'd never seen Joe Johnston's original Jumanji until viewing it via Columbia's new 4k UHD release.

While I'd like to presume that it may have been a better film 20+ years ago, I have my doubts.

What is in no way problematic, are the tech specs of the release.

In typical Columbia fashion, everything, and I mean everything is perfect.

Overall resolution, black levels, shadow detail, a wonderfully velvety grain structure.

As to audio, the original mix has been expanded to Dolby Atmos, and all's well. And loud.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Upgrade from DVD - Yes

Pass / Fail - Pass

RAH

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Even for 1995, the CGI wasn't good. Okay, it was cheesy! But the story, of a boy's redemption in adulthood and chance to go back in time and change the past - for the better - was really what struck home for me. That and the moment when, having been struck by a poisoned dart, with all hope seemed to be lost forever, Kristen Dunst, lay dying in the attic, leans into her frightened brother to confide peacefully, "I wish mom and dad were here."

But yes, the CGI was atrocious. As you said, the transfer is typical grade-A mastering from Sony. Well done. Bought it for the story, not the effects.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks