What's new

LG 2018 C8 OLED Owners Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
The eagle has landed, in fact, many eagles have flocked to Value Electronics!

tn_1200_642c73a936f68fa8b9cdcbe10368e391.jpg.png

df21d82b33a6e8c7922194fe009ab17b.jpg

Our calibrator took one home so he can calibrate the C8 and put it butt next to his Sony A1E and LG OLED. I have one on display in our store now and will also take one home.

1st early impression is LG's new a9 processor does a very nice job of cleaning up compression artifacts. Love the new art galleries, love the pedestal stand, audio is nicely improved and you can easily see the improved motion resolution with the Black Frame Insertion enabled.

Not on everyone short list, but the push button mic button on the remote makes the Voice Command accurate and not able to listen in without user intervention.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's a few more C8 1st impressions. Some from my observations and some from our expert calibrator, John.

I don's see any DSE, no banding, and no off color sides bands. The screen is appreciably brighter and it maintains the peak luminance on full field 100% luminance.

Looks like motion resolution is also improved even without engaging BFI.

Love all of the new art galleries. This year we have 3 art galleries and lots of new images in each gallery. Plus LG has provisioned for new art galleries that will be downloaded later this year. Here's a a couple of pics of the new art the the art home screen:

tn_1200_737bf60d97ce06bd1d9b770fe8ac47c6.JPG.png

tn_1200_724b8f3b85eb4d5b7d1b8c64401da9ce.JPG.png

tn_1200_e14b465580c327d516b7bd1808fc4846.JPG.png

gadgtfreek

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Glad to hear it. Wonder if they have TruMotion fixed where you can use a little dejudder without the hiccups or artifacts? That is one thing Sony does very well.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
With my 3 2017 upgrades it will be a while until I get a new panel, but you will be my first call when I do Robert. As a 2017 LG E55 owner I can say everyone can buy the 2018s with confidence, they are stunners.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Just a rumor, but a reliable one at that. 2018 LG OLED prices will go up by tomorrow and this is not an April fools prank!

So for those on the fence, click buy NOW!!

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Hate to say this, but my reliable rumor ^^ became reality!

Beginning today, prices were increased on the 55" C8 and E8 by $300 and the 65" C8 and E8 went up $300. All retailers up'd the prices already, I can't get to editing my website till tomorrow morning so everyone gets an Easter/Passover break.

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Another heavy snow storm is preventing us from getting to our store this morning. Shoveling our driveway and waiting for the snow plow to clear our street.

So everyone gets a few more hours of extra discount shopping at Value Electronics!

Reactions: PMF

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I agree and am also surprised to see LG's 2018 OLED prices increase.

Just got into work a few moments ago and once I finish shoveling the snow in front of our store I must raise the prices on our website. So for anyone interested you have maybe 1 hour to click the buy now button and save $300.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Hello @Robert_Zohn

How are those 2018 LG OLEDs looking after having a week to consider any improvements this year. I have a 2016 OLED E6 I'm seriously considering replacing in a couple of months hopefully if the prices drop a little. Being a 56 year old paralyzed from the neck down and on a budget I has to jump on price reductions when possible. :) If I get one I definitely want to go through Value Electronics to take advantage of a professional calibration this time around. The last and only time I've ever had a professional calibration was on my first HD ready RPTV back in 2000. If I recall his name was John/Bob Carlisle out of Florida I caught during a group tour organized on this site. I have not been on here in a while.

My main curiosity is in any improvements that may have been made in shadow detail coming out of black. Any reduction in the noise in shadows and hopefully a little improvement in motion (though I weren't as sensitive to the motion compared to most on the 2016's). Any comments greatly appreciated. :)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Yes, 2018 is a good year for LG's OLED fixes and enhancements in picture quality. After calibration the near black detail is excellent with detail at 1%, 2%, 3%, 4% and up that can be easily seen.

Other improvements are:

- LG's new a9 processor has improved FHD up conversion to UHD and tone mapping of HDR content

- 2018 LG OLED TVs are about 120nits brighter than the 2017 models

- Motion resolution is also improved

- The new Auto Calibration is another good feature that can calibrate more finely as it looks at and adjusts more luminance levels

- Not related to picture performance, but this year LG added three fine art galleries with place holders for several more art galleries to come via future upgrades.

- We've also been enjoying the "AI Voice Command" through the buil-in Google Home and Amazon Echo applications

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Thank you very much for the information. Especially the input on the near blank detail. Nice to know the upconversion has improvements also considering I watch a plenty of cable and OTA programming. I have an Amazon Echo so the "AI Voice Command" feature will come in handy. I had heard about the improved brightness which is a plus. Never used the screensavers on my E6 but I saw your pictures of the art galleries and those look pretty cool and I might use thoses. :)

Again thank you very much for your information. It's greatly appreciated. I'm really excited about the near black detail. I just have to sit back now and continue stashing a few dollars to the side while waiting for prices to decrease a little. When the time comes I will come a calling. :D

Last edited:

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Beginning today through Saturday, June 2nd, LG's 55" and 65" C8 and E8 series OLED TVs are on sale. Here's the 14 day window of opportunity promotional prices:

LG C8 Series OLED TVs:

- 55" C8, OLED55C8PUA $2,297
- 65" C8, OLED65C8PUA $3,197

LG E8 Series OLED TVs:

- 55" E8, OLED55E8PUA $2,797
- 65" E8, OLED65E8PUA $3,697

We're sweetening the deal by including a second year warranty at no charge.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
LG's getting aggressive with the 2018 OLED line up. Beginning today through July 14, 2018 here's the promotional offer:

55" Class OLED TVs:

- OLED55B8PUA $2,097

- OLED55C8PUA $2,297

- OLED55E8PUA $2,997, plus get $200 VE Gift Card

65" Class OLED TVs:

- OLED65B8PUA $2,997

- OLED65C8PUA $3,197

- OLED55E8PUA $3,997, plus get $300 VE Gift Card

FCBarca

Auditioning
Real Name
Fcuk
I attached a couple of photos of some odd lines that have appeared intermittently at the bottom of my screen - irrespective of content or device I am viewing from on my C8.

Does this look like anything easily identifiable?

Attachments

• IMG-3044.JPG
    IMG-3044.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 209
  • IMG-3043.JPG
    IMG-3043.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 212

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks