What's new

How to wire ceiling speakers.. (1 Viewer)

Matt78

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt Nichols
I have a new Sony TV, and ceiling speakers in the house from the previous owner. Each speaker has 2 wires coming out of the wall, so 4 wires total. Can I make these work with the TV, which has a digital audio output?
I understand I may need an amplifier, just not sure where to begin to make these work.
Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180419_205627.jpg
    20180419_205627.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 115

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That picture looks like your TV has a headphone output. It's the one with the green ring around it at the top of the photo. You can connect that to a simple amplifier using THIS. Then you connect the red and white ends to the red and white inputs on something like THIS AMP. There are a thousand options, those are just the two I found that were cheap and use the banana plugs on your speaker wires. When you plug in that cable, the TV's speakers should shut off, but the volume to the amp should still be controllable by the TV's remote. Then, you have two sets of speaker wires, one each red and black. You can see the two pairs have tape around them so you know which pair goes together, and I see writing on the tape wrapping them, which hopefully tells you which one is left and right. Plug them into the corresponding speaker outputs on the amp, plug it in and turn it on. Set the volume on the amp to something that gives a good output range, and then use the TV's remote to actually adjust the volume. You might just leave the amp on all the time, if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks