What's new

Pre-Order Jacques Brel Is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (1975) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Real Name
adr
Someone please, fix the absurd edit on "Timid Freda!" Surely the still-living Elly Stone can allowed be singing, "brave new fuck-you stance" instead of the mangled garbage presented in the film. A precursor to MTV, this film should have a bigger audience - it's by no means perfect, but, to have Elly Stone, Mort Shuman and Joe Masiell recreating the words and music of Brel with an incredible orchestra and the man himself, BREL, singing the haunting "Ne Me Quitte Pas." This is a purchase for me.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Maybe I'll have to give this another chance. I tried to watch it only once, probably on VHS, I don't even remember now.

At that time, I had just recently learned it in order to play the piano book in a local production, and, twice in that same period of time, I saw the 25th anniversary revival at the Village Gate. I'm sorry to say this about anything, but I thought it was one of the worst instances of a filmed musical ever.

Reactions: PMF
Real Name
adr
I'm sorry to say this about anything, but I thought it was one of the worst instances of a filmed musical ever.

A second chance might be in order. Going from a staged musical revue to a series of musical videos is not an easy proposal, and Brel's deep thoughts and political stances don't always translate to film, yet I think that 90% of what's on the screen is compelling.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A flawed motion picture? Perhaps. But, then again, it's been years.
Either way, its a unique animal, a hands-down purchase and certainly something I suspect will be viewed in a more forgiving light.
After all, this visual record of the original interpreters performing Brel - this ever brilliant Belgian poet - will now bode well and prove to be, if not gold, a very precious gem.

Last edited:

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
A new film version is in order. Sacrilege? Not at all. Bring Elly Stone on board in a technical advisory capacity, just as Gwen Verdon and Ann Reinking had done when creating the magnificent "Fosse".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks