What's new

Finally buying a new car (1 Viewer)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
After 18 years and 400,000 miles, it’s time I finally retire my daily driver, a 2000 Toyota Celica GT-S.

After spending the past few months doing online research of different cars and taking test drives, I ordered one of these yesterday:

92038137-B04E-43F7-B85F-D40D800FC226.jpeg

2018 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport in rallye red.

According to two different dealers, there are none available in the state and I don’t want to drive out of state to buy a car if I don’t have to. Honda says it normally takes 8 - 12 weeks to get an order from the factory, but there is currently one in transit to a dealer close to me which should be here in about 3 weeks, so I had them put my name on it and reserve it for me. They said that sometimes shaves up to a week off the transit time when they know someone is intent on buying the car and it won’t be sitting on the lot for a while after delivery.

I chose not to go with the loaded Sport Touring version, mainly because the Sport has the same suspension, tranny, engine, and body as the Sport Touring, but costs around $5000 less. The Sport also doesn’t have a sunroof, leather interior, LED headlights, heated seats, dual-zone climate control, blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, Apple CarPlay, Lane Watch, or the overly sensitive Honda Sensing package. Of those things, all I really care about is CarPlay compatibility and I can get that by replacing the OEM head unit with a quality aftermarket offering from Sony, Alpine, etc...

I am really excited and, hopefully, the next few weeks will go by quickly.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Congrats! I'm hoping to get into a new Honda myself this summer (probably another CRV). Like you, I'll probably pass on the Touring edition trim which just seems to raise the price but adds nothing useful for me. Haven't decided on color yet.

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Congrats! I'm hoping to get into a new Honda myself this summer (probably another CRV). Like you, I'll probably pass on the Touring edition trim which just seems to raise the price but adds nothing useful for me. Haven't decided on color yet.
At first I was really liking white, then started taking a shine to the polished metal color. Then I actually saw a Sport Touring in red and I knew that was the color I wanted. The black accents go perfect with that shade of red and it looks magnificent.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
18 years and 400,000 miles. You got your money’s worth out of that car! The new Honda looks hot. I hate leather seats. In the summer when wearing shorts, my legs stick to the leather.

Standard or auto?

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The salesman texted me this morning to let me know the Civic had arrived at the dealership. A co-worker is buying my old Celica for one of his sons to drive to school. He offered me $100 more than the dealer offered so it's a win for me and will almost pay my first 6-months of insurance. :D Since I have been driving the Celica 90-100 miles each day for almost 17 of the past 18 years, I think it can handle a daily 10-mile round trip.

I've already negotiated the deal so all I have to do is go home after work and wait for my wife so she can drive me to the dealership to inspect the car and sign the paperwork. :rock:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Looks good, I hope you have good luck with it. Only thing I don't like about most of the new Hondas (and Nissans and Subarus for that matter) is the gravitation towards CVT automatics. I'd have to stick with a manual transmission (if available).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Looks good, I hope you have good luck with it. Only thing I don't like about most of the new Hondas (and Nissans and Subarus for that matter) is the gravitation towards CVT automatics. I'd have to stick with a manual transmission (if available).
What is CVT?

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
What is CVT?

Instead of having an actual mechanical gear set like a conventional automatic transmission, it is single speed with a belt (or series of belts) and pulleys that adjusts to engine speed for an endless amount of gear ratios. I believe Nissan CVTs use a system of rollers to achieve the same effect. I just worry about failure of the belt after miles and miles of use. It's always under a tremendous amount of pressure under speed. However, it seems the manufacturers are gradually going to this type of automatic transmission so they must not be having much of a failure rate. I'm sure the Civic that Clint bought will be trouble free for thousands of miles.

I believe this is a good photo of the guts of Honda's CVT...

CVT_Inside_Main-668.jpg

Clinton McClure

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
CVTs have been in use in various formats for the past, what, 30-40 years? Maybe longer? If they had a tremendous failure rate, they wouldn’t be in at least half of every non-manual car nowadays. I don’t have any problem with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks