What's new

THX announces new Premium Large Format theater to compete with Dolby/IMAX & a new Deep Note too! (1 Viewer)

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Considering that there are no AMC theaters in the area so a Dolby Cinema near me is an impossibility this could work out well for me.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
For me, THX means absolutely nothing ever since they allowed theaters to regulate themselves on certification.

It's an entirely different management team now with very different projects. Did you read the article? It may help bring Large Format to more theaters cheaper than IMAX and Dolby, with competing tech. (complete disclosure: I have a few shares of Razer)

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
It's an entirely different management team now with very different projects. Did you read the article? It may help bring Large Format to more theaters cheaper than IMAX and Dolby, with competing tech. (complete disclosure: I have a few shares of Razer)
Yes, I read the article, but it was very generic and until theaters actually sign on for this "product," I'll take a wait and see attitude. Although, I kind of expect Cinemark to be the chain that signs on to this, since many of their XD screens are also THX-certified.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Are there any THX theaters left in the US? Seems like its been an irrelevant brand for a long time.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The big question for me is whether the studios will directly participate.

IMAX and Dolby Cinema are special because the studios prepare specially mastered DCPs exclusively for those systems which take advantage of the capabilities of the projectors and sound systems used in those setups.

On the other hand, other so-called “premium large format” auditoriums like Regal’s RPX and Cinemark’s XD do have larger screens and higher end projectors and sound systems than their standard multiplex screens, but they’re showing the exact same digital file that their standard non-premium screens show.

If this new THX program involves having the studio and filmmakers making special versions just for those systems, it’ll be worthwhile. If it’s just a higher end system to play back the same standard DCP, that’ll be nice but not a big deal in my book.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks