What's new

Elvis Presley (1 Viewer)

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I know Elvis' main claim to fame was his singing career, but he also appeared in more than thirty films during his lifetime. What are you thoughts of him as an actor? Are there any of his films you enjoy?

Let's start this ode to the King of Rock-n-Roll, the one and only, Elvis!
upload_2018-4-24_20-42-34.png

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Elvis was an underrated actor . There are a number of films that show his acting ability (Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, Flaming Star , Kid Galahad , Wild in the Country , Roustabout , etc.). I went to see these films as a kid , enjoyed them then , and still enjoy them . My wife is younger than me , and experienced these movies on the 4:30 movie , and she enjoys watching them with me. I'm hoping that more of Elvis's films are released on bluray.

Last edited:

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
He could have been a great movie star if he hadn't been shackled by Colonel Tom Parker, who kept him making those fluffy musicals/comedies (DOUBLE TROUBLE, CLAMBAKE, EASY COME EASY GO, LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE, etc.).

But he's very good in the films LouA cites. It was FLAMING STAR where I first said to myself, "What a good actor Elvis was and what a great movie star he could have been." I didn't really start watching Elvis movies on a regular basis until after he died.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Girls!
Girls!
Girls!

When I was 7 or so in the 70s our movie theater had a summer movie program and we'd see movies every weekday. Stuff like Goldfinger, Escape from the Planet of the apes, etc are ones that make me remember that great time. They also showed plenty of Elvis! Such a great feeling.

Big fan of This is Elvis which I still have somewhere on a very old recorded VHS. I had the dvd too. also, all his concert films really take me back. Nobody was quite like him.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Not a big fan of his singing or his musicals but always liked him in Flaming Star. I bought it when it came out on blu ray. I think he would have become a great dramatic actor if he kept at it.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll add to the ones saying FLAMING STAR is probably his best performance. The films before it are typically not too bad, the pre-army ones being the best. After FLAMING STAR, things get pretty dire.

Also: ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER recently aired on HBO, and is easily the best documentary I've seen on him. Focus is on Elvis and his music/art, skipping the tabloid fodder. Highly recommended to fans of the Big E.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I'll add to the ones saying FLAMING STAR is probably his best performance. The films before it are typically not too bad, the pre-army ones being the best. After FLAMING STAR, things get pretty dire.

Also: ELVIS PRESLEY: THE SEARCHER recently aired on HBO, and is easily the best documentary I've seen on him. Focus is on Elvis and his music/art, skipping the tabloid fodder. Highly recommended to fans of the Big E.
I watched Elvis :The Searcher recently with friends and we all enjoyed it . As Russell G states, it concentrates on the most important aspects of Elvis's career . Highly recommended!

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
Elvis was an underrated actor . There are a number of films that show his acting ability (Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, Flaming Star , Kid Galahad , Wild in the Country , Roustabout , etc.). I went to see these films as a kid , enjoyed them then , and still enjoy them . My wife is younger than me , and experienced these movies on the 4:30 movie , and she enjoys watching them with me. I'm hoping that more of Elvis's films are released on bluray.
I haven't seen enough of Elvis' movies to agree that he is underrated, but I can say from what I know, he was vastly underused. He was offered a string of what-became highly successful and classic films all because Colonel Parker didn't want any other "names" competing with Elvis on the screen, or because the salary could not be reached. Of course, most of know he was wanted for WEST SIDE STORY and Streisand's remake of A STAR IS BORN. He was also slated for a 20th Century-Fox movie called THE WAY TO THE GOLD in 1957. Sheree North, a capable actress the studio was molding in the Monroe fashion, agreed to the film only after she learned Elvis would be her co-star. Once the agreement between Fox and Parker fell through, North wanted to back out, but the studio wouldn't let her, and she later recollected her frequent quarrels with Presley's replacement---Jeffrey Hunter.
He could have been a great movie star if he hadn't been shackled by Colonel Tom Parker, who kept him making those fluffy musicals/comedies (DOUBLE TROUBLE, CLAMBAKE, EASY COME EASY GO, LIVE A LITTLE LOVE A LITTLE, etc.).

But he's very good in the films LouA cites. It was FLAMING STAR where I first said to myself, "What a good actor Elvis was and what a great movie star he could have been." I didn't really start watching Elvis movies on a regular basis until after he died.
After he returned from his tenure in the service, Elvis had intentions on sidelining his music career and focusing on a more dramatically inclined career in the movies. After G.I. BLUES (1960), he made two dramas for Fox: FLAMING STAR (1960) and WILD IN THE COUNTRY (1961). Both receives favorable reviews and enjoyed reasonable box office success, but following the hit that was BLUE HAWAII (1961), the Colonel convinced the King to stick to the formula of bright, modestly budgeted musical comedies that would be a staple for the "actor" over the next decade. So familiar was the type of films Elvis made that the genre was nicknamed "the Elvis formula". All of these films were popular, but almost all of them were critically derived. Aside from VIVA LAS VEGAS (1964), and perhaps a few others, none of these films are particularly noteworthy. I would probably that the majority of them are remembered today for being "Elvis movies" instead of genuine "classics".

It is a common theory that Elvis' pre-service acting career showed considerable promise. There were even talks among the press that he perhaps had a glowing future ahead of him, and some of them he predicted he would be a successor to James Dean. Of course, we know that never happened. Could it have happened? Well, no one knows for sure because the King was never given the proper material to prove it right or wrong. He excelled in the cheesy, flashy, and bright musical romantic comedies and there was no turning back when Colonel Parker saw those dollar signs.

Yes, I have seen pieces of the new HBO documentary on Elvis, and I agree it is the best gathering of his life and work. Hopefully, it will be on DVD soon. Perhaps Netflix?

Emcee

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Belflower
I watched Elvis :The Searcher recently with friends and we all enjoyed it . As Russell G states, it concentrates on the most important aspects of Elvis's career . Highly recommended!
Yes! I haven't seen all of it, but what I have been able to see was beyond good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks