What's new

A new Jackie Gleason Show 3-DVD set is coming on May 15, 2018...details to follow (1 Viewer)

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Just spotted a new version of the Jackie Gleason Show 3-DVD set on the TV DVD site and will be out in just three weeks time and here are all the details to it plus cover art...

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Jackie-Gleason-In-Color-3-DVD-Deluxe-Edition/24130

TheJackieGleasonShow_InColor3DVDDeluxeEdition.jpg

MartinP.

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin
From the press release:

Across three beautifully-remastered collector's discs, THE JACKIE GLEASON SHOW IN COLOR: DELUXE EDITION contains 12 never-before-released episodes.

Running time listed: 496 mins.
Divided by 12 episodes = 41.3 mins., so episodes, all or some, are edited.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Had me excited for a minute until I read the description. According to the write-up, this is just a sampler of the big set they already released, despite using the phrase "previously unreleased."

However, it does appear that it will include all the Honeymooners shorts and is cheaper than the bigger set.

I wish they would stop with all this "multiple versions of the same release" stuff.

rmw650

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard W
Mark, it's all about TL trying to make additional coin on these sets by breaking up the mega ones and selling these outright to the retail outlets, the same that they did to the Dean Martin Roasts, Hee Haw and Carol Burnett shows for starters.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
There are people who are only interested in the "Honeymooners" Skits and will be more willing to buy this set than the big one. Smart move on Time-Life to put the 7 shows with the last of unreleased 1960's skits.

Now did they turn these classics skits into musicals as well, or did Jackie just decide to do straight remakes-updates of the original 1950's skits.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
There are people who are only interested in the "Honeymooners" Skits and will be more willing to buy this set than the big one. Smart move on Time-Life to put the 7 shows with the last of unreleased 1960's skits.

Now did they turn these classics skits into musicals as well, or did Jackie just decide to do straight remakes-updates of the original 1950's skits.

They are not musical at all. Just straight remakes of the 1950s skits, maybe with a few ad-libs and updated contemporary references. One of these skits, "Alice's Birthday," was performed in the 1950s but the live versions have not surfaced. Yet, IIRC some of the dialogue sounded familiar to me. I have to watch it again. Maybe part of it was reworked into something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks