What's new

Netflix Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget (2023)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Title: Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget

Tagline: This time, they're breaking in!

Genre: Animation, Adventure, Comedy, Family

Director: Sam Fell

Cast: Thandiwe Newton, Zachary Levi, Bella Ramsey, Jane Horrocks, Imelda Staunton, Lynn Ferguson, Josie Sedgwick-Davies, David Bradley, Romesh Ranganathan, Daniel Mays, Nick Mohammed

Plot: When Ginger and Rocky hatch a little girl called Molly, Ginger’s happy ending seems complete. But back on the mainland, the whole of chicken-kind faces a new and terrible threat. For Ginger and her team, even if it means putting their own hard-won freedom at risk.
Surprise!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/chicken-run-sequel-works-at-aardman-1098310

This seems more than a little belated. But, cool.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
That's their biggest hit, so they're probably hoping the familiarity will lead to success. Every film they've produced since Chicken Run has grossed less and less, with this winter's Early Man hitting a low of only $49 million worldwide.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
That's their biggest hit, so they're probably hoping the familiarity will lead to success.

Absolutely. However, I think they would have had a better shot at that if it had been produced in closer proximity to the original fiim. Yes, it was popular 20 years ago, but the question now is how many general audience moviegoers (not those of us who spend our days on movie discussion boards ) remember it now and want to go see another installment.

So when can I order CR on blu ray now?

Good question, but the distribution rights to the first one are still with DreamWorks, now owned by Universal, who don't distribute new projects for Ardman anymore. So, as logical as it would be for that to come out when the sequel does, that may or may not result, since the two films will probably be distributed by different studios and therefore would not able to be bundled together.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Good question, but the distribution rights to the first one are still with DreamWorks, now owned by Universal, who don't distribute new projects for Ardman anymore. So, as logical as it would be for that to come out when the sequel does, that may or may not result, since the two films will probably be distributed by different studios and therefore would not able to be bundled together.
I wonder if the original's something that could end up with Shout Factory?

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I wonder if the original's something that could end up with Shout Factory?

Because DreamWorks Animation is still a big brand name for Universal, and DWA did put their name on Chicken Run, I would be really surprised if Universal would willingly license it out. But they also don't seem to be interested in releasing their older catalog titles on Blu-ray either. As far as I know, DWA's only non-CGI film that has come to Blu-ray is Spirit, leaving many films awaiting such a release, not just Chicken Run. I really do wish they would get on putting all of them out. But they don't care.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It smells like desperation when a studio does something like this. Chicken Run was a done-in-one story where everything was tied up by the end. There is nothing more to add to the story.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Last I was aware, the original Chicken Run is still with Paramount for home video in the US (as are all Dreamworks Animation catalog titles up through 2012's Rise of the Guardians).

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Last I was aware, the original Chicken Run is still with Paramount for home video in the US

Universal has been quietly reissuing new editions of some of the older titles that Paramount initially distributed. I imagine thy will claim them when Paramount's deal expires, or sooner (the way Disney paid Paramount to end their distribution agreement with Marvel early.) Here's an Amazon link to the new Rise of the Guardians on pre-order, which is now being distributed by Universal: https://www.amazon.com/Rise-Guardia...5293313&sr=1-2&keywords=rise+of+the+guardians. However, to date this hasn't yet included actually doing releases of catalog films that haven't already been put out on Blu-ray.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Netflix will be distributing the film globally, except for China.

Obviously, Netflix will be able to get this film to an extremely wide audience. However, my immediate thought here was that, with Netflix as distributor, there might not be a disc release to go on our shelves next to the original film, which would be unfortunate. Thus far, the only Netflix titles that have been released on disc are awards titles from Criterion. Although this is not meant as an appraisal of its quality, I sort of doubt that Chicken Run 2 is the type of thing Criterion would want to release.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Netflix will be distributing the film globally, except for China.

Obviously, Netflix will be able to get this film to an extremely wide audience. However, my immediate thought here was that, with Netflix as distributor, there might not be a disc release to go on our shelves next to the original film, which would be unfortunate. Thus far, the only Netflix titles that have been released on disc are awards titles from Criterion. Although this is not meant as an appraisal of its quality, I sort of doubt that Chicken Run 2 is the type of thing Criterion would want to release.

Didn't The Cloverfield Paradox get a disc release? Hard to imagine that one got a Criterion award.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Well, this sucks. Julia Sawalha's role as Ginger is being recast apparently due to agism.

"The reason they gave is that my voice now sounds ‘too old’ and they want a younger actress to reprise the role," said the 51-year-old, who was 30 at the time of the first movie. "Usually in these circumstances, an actress would be given the chance to do a voice test in order to determine the suitability of their pitch and tone, I however was not given this opportunity."

More at the link: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/n...es-producers-ageism-being-axed-sequel-1302736

This is crap. I can fully understand recasting Mel Gibson because of his various racist actions since the original film was made. He brings baggage that they shouldn't have to deal with now, especially on a family film. However, that's not the case at all with Julia Sawalha. If Ginger is in the movie, she should absolutely have right of first refusal to play her. That Ardman is apparently not giving her that respect is upsetting to me.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget will be released on Netflix in 2023. Zachary Levi is replacing Mel Gibson as Rocky. Thandiwe Newton replaces Julia Sawalh as Ginger.

The Hollywood Reporter said:
Set shortly after the death-defying escape from Tweedy’s farm in the original, Chicken Run: Dawn of the Nugget sees Ginger having finally found her dream — a peaceful island sanctuary for the whole flock, far from the dangers of the human world. When she and Rocky hatch a little girl called Molly, Ginger’s happy ending seems complete. But back on the mainland, the whole of chicken-kind faces a new and terrible threat. For Ginger and her team, even if it means putting their own hard-won freedom at risk — this time, they’re breaking in!

Also, there is going to be a new Wallace & Gromit film on Netflix as well. More at the link.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's a good thing it is going on NF, because I wouldn't have paid to see it after what they did to the original VA for Ginger.

Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks