What's new

SOUND OF MUSIC 4K restoration and 70mm reissue??? (1 Viewer)

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Noticed that there is a new YouTube video with a trailer for a new 4K restoration of SOUND OF MUSIC and re-issue to theaters in 70mm. Not sure if this link will work, but this could mean a 4K disc and blu ray? I know many people here had issues with the existing blu ray. Anyone heard about this?

Continue reading...

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-26_21-54-6.png
    upload_2018-4-26_21-54-6.png
    494.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited by a moderator:

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Seeing the film in 70mm again would be a treat. It would make no sense if the 70mm prints were projected onto cinemascope sized screens ,without curtains and in multiplexes as are most 70mm films today. I saw SOM over 100 times where I worked in 70mm.We had a curved 60 foot wide screen and SOM ran for 41 weeks. I refuse to see it in 35mm or digital .It is screened in digital for one day only every February during Sydney's gay and Lesbian Mardi Gras .The audience dress up and prizes are given out for best costume. It is always a sell event in February.

DP 70

Screenwriter
Real Name
Derek
A new 70mm print from an 8K scan is screening at the BFI Southbank for a 2 week run from 18th May.
This is also screening in DTS in original 6 track stereo with 5 front and 1 surround channels.

The hills could be alive with pixels:angry:

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I had plenty of issues with the previous Blu-ray so I hope this is a brand new thing.

Same here.
I would think that they could go back to the raw 8k files and do a new grading - IF they kept them. No idea also what they kept from the audio but that might also be redone without having to go back to photochemical elements.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
A new 70mm print from an 8K scan is screening at the BFI Southbank for a 2 week run from 18th May.
This is also screening in DTS in original 6 track stereo with 5 front and 1 surround channels.

The hills could be alive with pixels:angry:

Not a fan of these filmouts to 70mm either - if you go digital you may as well stay digital.
Oh well, if it keeps all kind of 70mm equipment going I will be fine with that but I will always try to see the real deal instead of these pixel/film hybrids.

warnerbro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Darrell
There's nothing like seeing this in 70mm on a big screen with a live audience. You can actually feel the electricity and your spine tingle on that opening shot of Julie Andrews spinning on the hill. The audience almost comes out of their seats with excitement. It is a visceral experience everyone should have.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Here is the English dubbed version of the Trapp Family German film for which the real Maria sold her story. The rights to do the Broadway "Sound of Music" were obtained from the German producers not Maria.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
There was an English-language version of the first Von Trapp Family. I projected it in 1963 or 1964 (before the release of The Sound of Music).

As everyone probably knows, the narrative of this film was licensed and adapted by Ernest Lehman for his script to The Sound of Music.

This film is a must-see for fans of The Sound of Music.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
There was an English-language version of the first Von Trapp Family. I projected it in 1963 or 1964 (before the release of The Sound of Music).

As everyone probably knows, the narrative of this film was licensed and adapted by Ernest Lehman for his script to The Sound of Music.

This film is a must-see for fans of The Sound of Music.

Fox realsed this several years before The Sound Of Music. I believe they still own the rights.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
Has anybody ever seen the real Trapp Family performing live on stage? I did as a child when they toured New Zealand.

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I saw SOM in 70mm at the Seattle Cinerama two years ago. It was lovely. The sound was DTS I was told, I assume from the 1990 25th anniversary re-release (not a wide release). I also am hoping they revisit this for home video. It seems that the most popular titles receive the most revising. I guess that makes sense, but still. The audio on the blu seems a bit flat.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Last time I saw The Sound Of Music was a 70mm presentation with 6 track audio back around February of 2017 and not only did it look great but sounded great as well. I would love to see a 4K blu-ray from a 70mm print and using the 6 track audio track.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
THE SOUND OF MUSIC had several record-breaking seasons ,when it was originally released. These record runs have never been broken by ANY other film, in over 50 years. It was the second longest run of any film in London (over 3 years) (SOUTH PACIFIC in London ran almost a year longer).It was the only film ever to run more than a year in Auckland,New Zealand. It ran for 41 weeks in Wellington,New Zealand - the longest ever for a film in that city. In Sydney it also ran over 3 years. There maybe many other record-breaking runs that still stand to-day.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Fox did a limited re-release in theaters, I think via Fathom Events or something, a few years back and I saw it at the big theater here, but it wasn't 70mm, only digital. I would welcome the chance to see it in 70mm, but my arthouse is the only place around hee that does 70mm, and they seem incapable of booking an older musical film without making it a sing-along, which I hate.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread