What's new

Children's Art Instruction show from the 70's (1 Viewer)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
This may be a tough one. I remember a children's art show that aired in the 70's & 80's and find anything about it. I feel like it aired on PBS as the segments seemed short. I would guess it was 15 minutes long. We didn't have that many channels so it had to be PBS. I always called it "The Draw Man" but that must not have been the title. It featured a pleased older gentleman with glasses who would give art tutorials. Nothing complex at all. Seems like it was done with marker or crayons.

I watched him whenever it was on but it never seemed to be a regular thing. It was just a treat when I saw it. Anyone have a clue what this show was?

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I'm trying to find some images from "Let's Draw". Maybe that's it. I seem to remember the host wearing something like a blue lab coat, thick black glasses & he had a receding hairline. I could never predict when this show was on. It just popped up. I know I taped part of an episode around 85 or 86 because that's when I first got a vcr. I saw him on and had to try to record him. In that episode he concluded with a drawing of himself in a spacesuit. It must've ran in the 70's through the mid 80's.

CoyoteJoey

Auditioning
Real Name
Joey
This may be a tough one. I remember a children's art show that aired in the 70's & 80's and find anything about it. I feel like it aired on PBS as the segments seemed short. I would guess it was 15 minutes long. We didn't have that many channels so it had to be PBS. I always called it "The Draw Man" but that must not have been the title. It featured a pleased older gentleman with glasses who would give art tutorials. Nothing complex at all. Seems like it was done with marker or crayons.

I watched him whenever it was on but it never seemed to be a regular thing. It was just a treat when I saw it. Anyone have a clue what this show was?
Yes, it was called "Let's Draw" and your description of the host brings back memories. In 1978 or '79 our school played PBS shows throughout the week. I always looked forward to "Let's Draw." It was a short segment. The lessons taught me a bit about perspective which I utilized in my early artworks. I was one of the better drawers in my class so my final pieces were often displayed; maybe this is the reason I so looked forward to the program.

Searching online, I see Frank Webb hosted a similar show in the '50s, titled the same. But, I doubt it is the same guy. Then, there's the later version with Mark Kistler and Imagination Station, but again, different. I'm trying to find the shows logo for a media effects class project. Maybe KQED has some info.

Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I have no idea how I eventually found this. The show I watched was called the “Draw Man” and featured an instructor named Paul Ringler. I can’t remember how I finally found this! I saw a comment about him on Facebook though & the most positive part for me was I got to tell his daughter how much the show meant to me. That made me feel good.

E8FDDF95-788A-4D03-9B5F-E1D198D01C47.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks