What's new

UHD Why I’m looking forward to a HDR release of the Godfather Movies (1 Viewer)

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
I’ve bought the Godafather Trilogy on Blu-ray when it came out and I haven’t watched it until this weekend. Unfortunately the European Edition omits the original mono mix – thanks Paramount 
clear.png
 – But the the 5.1 mix wasn’t bad at all. Kudos to the mixing team. The picture quality was pretty damn nice. Details I haven’t seen before and an interesting color floor. So overall a good presentation of the movies. Yes? NO! The blacks are terrible. I don’t know what went wrong, but many scenes have really murky and redish blacks. This is even more showing on the featurette “Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather” on the 4th disc. The blacks of the restored scene shown there looked great. So why did they change it for the movie discs? I don’t know.
But with UHD and HDR this movie can be saved and shown how it should truly have been. HDR can produce some impressive blacks while retaining mid and high...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
HDR?

Apparently that featurette got the color correct, but in the feature, they must have turned the wrong knob, or something. Sorry, is that what they do. Is it a knob?

Maybe a wheel?

No, a lever of some sort. I’m certain of that.

But it must be a really huge lever.

Horrible.

But no problem.

I’ve ordered an investigation, and heads will roll!

And yes, that wedding sequence is also horrible. Looks like old Agfachrome, or something. Like way overexposed!

Please return for a full refund.

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I'm thinking that the last thing The Godfather needs is darker blacks. So an Agfachrome look is what the cameraman was going for with the wedding scene, I'm sure it's not just a bit of overexposure, maybe some defusing filters & other stuff, whatever, he pulled it off.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
***sarcasm***

Instead giving that major sarcasm post, you could've clarified what I was seeing actually was.
The red shift in the blacks is definitely there, while it wasn't the featurrete.
And I didn't say anything about horrible.

Mind you, this was viewed on a calibrated OLED TV and which can reveal bad blacks levels pretty harshly.

I also didn't mean any disrespect to your and others hard work on the project.

I'd rather have the version that shows how the film actual was, not how it "should have been".

Unless you've watched the actual print, you haven't seen the movie how it was intended or was. BT709 Colorspace is not capable to fully show what a 35mm print has to offer. BT2020 - that's used for HDR - can come pretty close.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Instead giving that major sarcasm post, you could've clarified what I was seeing actually was.
The red shift in the blacks is definitely there, while it wasn't the featurrete.
And I didn't say anything about horrible.

Mind you, this was viewed on a calibrated OLED TV and which can reveal bad blacks levels pretty harshly.

I also didn't mean any disrespect to your and others hard work on the project.

Unless you've watched the actual print, you haven't seen the movie how it was intended or was. BT709 Colorspace is not capable to fully show what a 35mm print has to offer. BT2020 - that's used for HDR - can come pretty close.

Can you please define the words “color print,” and I’ll attempt to respond

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...Unless you've watched the actual print, you haven't seen the movie how it was intended or was. BT709 Colorspace is not capable to fully show what a 35mm print has to offer. BT2020 - that's used for HDR - can come pretty close.
For a top quality show print that may be true, but only a handful of people outside the film industry ever see one of those. Once you factor in generation loss, I doubt a typical projected 35mm release print actually yields much better colour than blu-ray.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Can you please define the words “color print,” and I’ll attempt to respond

If you refer to my "color floor" statement... I was referring to the golden hues. As Mr. Coppola and Mr. Willis said in the emulsion featurette, it was done/intended to look like the 40s and 50s. But I haven't said "color print" :huh:

I was referring to the OP's comments on wanting the wedding scene to look different than it was intended.

I said the highlights are a bit clipped. This has nothing to do with a change in look, when HDR can bring back the lost highlights

A good example can found here for Die Hard UHD vs BD of HDR bringing back lost highlight details.

For a top quality show print that may be true, but only a handful of people outside the film industry ever see one of those. Once you factor in generation loss, I doubt a typical projected 35mm release print actually yields much better colour than blu-ray.

The Godfather master for the Blu-ray was not taken from a release print.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Now here's a thread on a very reasonable topic that is getting off to an awful start.

Between this and some of the recent 2001 threads, I will ask if we can please engage in civil discussion on the topic at hand and possibly not assume the worst of people who are raising topics and issues.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
If you refer to my "color floor" statement... I was referring to the golden hues. As Mr. Coppola and Mr. Willis said in the emulsion featurette, it was done/intended to look like the 40s and 50s. But I haven't said "color print" :huh:

I said the highlights are a bit clipped. This has nothing to do with a change in look, when HDR can bring back the lost highlights.

Sorry. Didn’t fully understand that HDR is capable of capturing lost highlights.

Good to know.

I was under the false impression that if something lacked certain information, whether purposefully, or by error, that the information wasn’t there.

Heading over to Amazon now to download a book on HDR, and lost highlights.

I’ll report back.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
HDR?

Apparently that featurette got the color correct, but in the feature, they must have turned the wrong knob, or something. Sorry, is that what they do. Is it a knob?

I’ve ordered an investigation, and heads will roll!

Please return for a full refund.
Heads did roll.....a horse got it first! :unsure:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What's going on here? Seems like a lot of snark is being expressed here when it's not necessary. I thought The Godfather Trilogy looked fine on Blu-ray. I'm looking forward to the 4K release too whenever Paramount decides to do so. Maybe, HDR isn't a requirement, but is it out of line to ask why that's the case? I just want the sarcastic remarks to stop, as it's not helping to educate the forum novices when it comes to whether HDR is necessary for catalog films, whenever they're released on 4K/UHD disc. Also, of note, RAH had previously stated that HDR isn't necessary because it changes the actual look of the film from what it suppose to look like. I'm sure RAH will correct me if that comment isn't correct.:) Peace!

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
What's going on here?

I can answer that. We seem to be inundated with new people who believe they have more insight into film restoration due to their research than people actually in the field. And they keep spitballing things based on clips taken out of context. And its become frustrating for folks like Mr. Harris to constantly keep batting these statements down.

Sarcasm is expressed.

People who think they know more than they do double down.

Rinse, repeat.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
What's going on here? Seems like a lot of snark is being expressed here when it's not necessary. I thought The Godfather Trilogy looked fine on Blu-ray. I'm looking forward to the 4K release too whenever Paramount decides to do so. Maybe, HDR isn't a requirement, but is it out of line to ask why that's the case? I just want the sarcastic remarks to stop, as it's not helping to educate the forum novices when it comes to whether HDR is necessary for catalog films, whenever they're released on 4K/UHD disc. Also, of note, RAH had previously stated that HDR isn't necessary because it changes the actual look of the film from what it suppose to look like. I'm sure RAH will correct me if that comment isn't correct.:) Peace!

You're correct. Usually are...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I can answer that. We seem to be inundated with new people who believe they have more insight into film restoration due to their research than people actually in the field. And they keep spitballing things based on clips taken out of context. And its become frustrating for folks like Mr. Harris to constantly keep batting these statements down.

Sarcasm is expressed.

Rinse, repeat.
I wasn't aware of that inundation, I need to be more active in dealing with those type of situations. Seriously, we're all tired of misinformation being spread around the internet.

Sarcastic Meter Off.

Last edited:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Sarcasm is expressed.

Rinse, repeat.

And you all wonder why I roll my eyes everytime somebody demands a 4k transfer of Superman with HDR10. (PSST...its not going to look much better)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks