What's new

THE PUPPETOON MOVIE VOLUME 2 BLU-RAY + DVD (1 Viewer)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
found this today wile working on a class project, was unaware that it was even being through of, but for those Animation buffs out there who are willing to help crowd fund the release, i am just passing the information along, OK i also pre ordered because i want to see the rest of George Pal's work have a proper release.

https://www.scifistation.com/puppetoon2.html

https://www.facebook.com/puppetoons/

hope some find this useful

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
ANNOUNCING, AT LONG LAST ---

THE RETURN OF THE PUPPETOONS!

clip_image004[2].jpg

THE PUPPETOON MOVIE VOLUME 2 IS NOW AVAILABLE

FOR PREORDER AT WWW.PUPPETOON.NET

When 1987’s The Puppetoon Movie was finally released to Blu-ray in 2013, it was met with wide acclaim. It was both an animation event and a much-deserved, loving tribute to film pioneer George Pal. Now, prepare for the second volume of these amazing Pal creations, coming soon in a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack!

Producer Arnold Leibovit (The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal, The Puppetoon Movie, 2002’s The Time Machine) proudly presents a landmark collection of beautifully restored stop-motion animated shorts. Leibovit’s mentor and friend George Pal began his Academy Award-winning career by creating a series of groundbreaking animated shorts films between 1932 and 1947, utilizing his own puppet replacement technique. These stunning films earned Pal an Oscar, and saw him nominated for several more. Pal later went on to produce or direct such fantasy film classics as The War of the Worlds, The Time Machine, When Worlds Collide, 7 Faces of Dr. Lao, and The Wonderful World of The Brothers Grimm.

This new Blu-ray/DVD set was made possible by the kind assistance of Paramount Pictures (the original distributor of The Puppetoons) and the astounding discovery of several long-lost Pal films from Europe, a few of which will appear on this second volume. The result is a brilliant collection of films that have not been seen in decades, and some never outside of Europe, all meticulously restored in high definition.

Altogether, there are 18 films in the set, which even includes a couple of rarely-seen Pal-produced cel-animated shorts from the 1930s. All films are from original 35mm Nitrate IB Technicolor prints, or the original Three-Strip Technicolor successive negatives. The results are spectacular.

These shorts are all new to home video, except for Ship of the Ether, which appears here for the first time in HD. Of special interest to fans will be licensed appearances in these films by none other than Bugs Bunny and Superman, both at the height of their popularity when these shorts were made!

Preorders now open at www.Puppetoon.net

Cost is $39.95 US, with free shipping within the US. Discs are expected to be ready December 2020.
Trailer for the Blu-ray may be found at:

Puppetoons (High Definition)

· Dipsy Gypsy (1940)

· Radio Valve Revolution (1934)

· Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves (1935)

· A Hatful of Dreams (1944)

· Rescue Brigade (1937)

· In Lamp Light Land (1935)

· Jasper and the Choo-Choo (1942)

· Love On The Range (1938)

· The Gay Knighties (1941)

· Two Gun Rusty (1944)

· How An Advertising Poster Came About (1938)

· Jasper Goes Hunting (1944)

· Sky Pirates (1938)

· Jasper’s Close Shave (1945)

· The Ship of the Ether (1934)

· Good Night Rusty (1943)

· Wilbur the Lion (1946)

· Jasper Tell (1944)

Extras (Standard Definition)

This is Oil, No.1: Prospecting for Petroleum (Shell Oil Company Inc., 1946)
Trailers From Hell: Arnold Leibovit on The Puppetoon Movie
Trailers From Hell: Arnold Leibovit on The Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal
The Puppetoon Movie Speedy Alka-Seltzer (Miles Laboratory, Smithsonian Institution)
The Puppetoon Movie Montage
Full Production and Donor Credits

Includes 6-Panel Color Booklet, Liner Notes by Arnold Leibovit

Technical Specifications:

Blu-ray:

Video: 1080p High-Definition Original Aspect Ratio 1.37:1
Audio: TBD
Subtitles: Selected Subjects Optional English
Run Time: 186 minutes
Technicolor & Gasparcolor/Black & White
Region Free Code "0" All Countries
Not Rated

DVD:

Video: Standard Definition Original Aspect Ratio 1.37:1
Audio: TBD
Subtitles: Selected Subjects Optional English
Run Time: 120 minutes
Technicolor & Gasparcolor/Black & White
Region Free Code "0" All Countries
Not Rated

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Arnold Leibovit talks to the Home Theater Forum about George Pal's Puppetoons: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...terview-with-producer-arnold-leibovit.368913/

Tim and Arnold, what a wonderful conversation....and i can't wait to be blown away, honestly Vol 1 set a standard that a lot of Animation releases pale in comparison to. I agree all this shall pass, the beauty of this is that granted those of us who are passionate about these shorts, or any film medium are able to "enlighten" those who would have never known about them.

Arnold, thank you for all that you have done, this is definitely shows to have been a labor of love, on your part, with many years of dedication to this.

"Off topic, but on topic" because of the Original, The Puppetoon Movie, that i was able to share with my Granddaughter, that led her to wanting to see more of Mr. Clokey's work, yes my friends; a 6 year old is a serious Gumby and Pokey fan, because of all of this :D.

Arnold i hope that along with possibly another "The Time Machine", that Warner Brothers is possibly looking at, that maybe they could look as far as there vaults for some more of George Pal's other films, but with HBO Max..... who knows what surprises my be in store, Today's modern audiences marvel at ILM or Pixar, but in the beginning it was O'Brien, Harryhausen, Pal and Clokey, that made the impossible reality, and magic happen.

PUPPETOON

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arnie
Authoring of The Puppetoon Movie Volume 2 has been in progress for the past several weeks and is now completed. Below is a screen shot of the Encore program in action. I should be receiving the first master Check Disc tomorrow from Steve Stanchfield who has put in a tremendous effort pulling all the separate pieces together. Steve told me he thinks this is one of the most beautiful sets he's ever worked on!

121274023_1217414531974951_8241023236842119687_o.jpg

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
:D Arrived, the opening disclaimer, perfectly states the only issue, that any may have with this release.

I know that there is a small group of us on here that truly take and give animation the same respect as any other classic Hollywood feature, and know of the many Boutique labels that work so diligently to keep some of the true works of art from fading away into obscurity. Thankfully this is another of those magical releases, and of course going to the credits, i see that many of the same "boutiques" and individuals, were partially instrumental in helping this get the proper restorations and scans needed for this release.

I did a brief viewing of a few of the shorts, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, Jasper Goes Hunting (and the Bugs cameo is so perfect), and one of the (SD) extras, This is Oil No. 1 ( and it still, is a marvel to see even in SD). For those waiting, you are in for a treat. The restorations are wonderful, the colors pop, the booklet, is very informative, not only about the shorts, but also Mr. Pal. I am truly thankful to Arnold, for working on what has to have been a labor of love. I plan on spending the next few days going through the release, of these seldom , if seen at all in the last 70 years outside of Speedy in an Alka-Seltzer commercial, seen gems of animation history, and savoring every one.

PUPPETOON

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Arnie
Thanks Dana for your heartfelt initial review! Reading what you say makes it all the more worth it. Since you just started your journey through Volume 2 you are in for a further breathtaking treat as you have only now scratched the surface.

Please do go to https://puppetoon.net and post your rating and further comments or reviews.

And if you are able please visit the Facebook Support Group, Puppetoon Movie and Fantasy Film Worlds of George Pal pages referenced below and do enter your valuable thoughts & commentary!

Also Blu-ray.com has a running thread set up for commentary.
https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=330935

Spreading the word is vital and makes getting a Volume 3 progressed all the more possible.

All the best,

Arnie L

:D Arrived, the opening disclaimer, perfectly states the only issue, that any may have with this release.

I know that there is a small group of us on here that truly take and give animation the same respect as any other classic Hollywood feature, and know of the many Boutique labels that work so diligently to keep some of the true works of art from fading away into obscurity. Thankfully this is another of those magical releases, and of course going to the credits, i see that many of the same "boutiques" and individuals, were partially instrumental in helping this get the proper restorations and scans needed for this release.

I did a brief viewing of a few of the shorts, Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves, Jasper Goes Hunting (and the Bugs cameo is so perfect), and one of the (SD) extras, This is Oil No. 1 ( and it still, is a marvel to see even in SD). For those waiting, you are in for a treat. The restorations are wonderful, the colors pop, the booklet, is very informative, not only about the shorts, but also Mr. Pal. I am truly thankful to Arnold, for working on what has to have been a labor of love. I plan on spending the next few days going through the release, of these seldom , if seen at all in the last 70 years outside of Speedy in an Alka-Seltzer commercial, seen gems of animation history, and savoring every one.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Arnold,
thank you for your kind words as well, I will have to do any posting on Facebook, via my wives account, the only real social media I do is this site, the other that you have listed, and what is posted here will be poster there as well, and occasionally an Instagram post.

So I sat down today, and started "A' program, I believe the first 9

First up "Dipsy Gypsy" (1941) (Puppetoon)
This is such a great start to this release, with a great almost old world feel, just from the opening titles on an old world Gypsy Cart. Pal and company, do a great blending of traditional European music and Jazz mixed, all with great Puppetoon visuals, and for those that may wonder, it looks like film, beautifully restored. The Dolby Digital sound is crisp and clear.

Such an amount of depth in some of the visuals, that it is a shame that Mr. Pal never released one of these in 3-D, but the effect is still very adherent in the presentation.

Next up was a total surprise "Radio Valve Revolution" (1934) Phillips Advertisement
traditional hand drawn cel animation, this is one of those rare treats, that for the instance of very dedicated people, most of the world would not have a clue. After further reading , George Pal was hired by Philips Radio Co in the 1930 for a series of advertisements' that would be shown during theatrical presentations. Utilizing Gasparcolor for this feature, the colors are not quite as vivid as Technicolor, but are as rich and effective with a glow . The short it's self while being utilized as and advert for selling radio tube, becomes more with the music that is perfectly choreographed to the action that is going on the screen at the time, think the moments of "Fantasia" that are perfectly blended of music and visuals, and you get the idea.

This title is one of the few that is in a language that is not English, subtitles are available for the dialogue that is presented.

that's it for, this viewing, as I plan on watching, these in order, I hope that others will do the same and look forward to any feedback on any of my statements, agree, or not, or most defiantly if I missed or omitted anything.

also some very informative reading on how this release came about, is available here

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks