What's new

Clint Walker dead at 90! (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Oh no! So sorry to hear this! I corresponded with him a bit in late 2016, and was able to get my Blu-ray copy of Night of the Grizzly autographed. Clint was a super nice guy who really seemed to appreciate the fans of his work. Peace to you Mr. Walker!!

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
It is a sad day for Big Clint fans. He passed away today just short of his 91st birthday. Clint was my cowboy idol as a kid and, later, my workout inspiration. After watching Yellowstone Kelly, my girlfriend told me she thought he was the most handsome man she had ever seen. I wasn't jealous because the guy was my hero. I remember telling my sister-in-law about Clint as she was not familiar with him. My mom chimed in "They don't make 'em like that anymore". Nope. RIP Clint.

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
One of the first series I remember watching on afternoon television. One of the earliest examples of "stripping" that I was exposed to. Couldn't wait for every afternoon from 3 to 4 to get my dose of Cheyenne. Very fond memories of Cheyenne followed by Perry Mason.

Blimpoy06

Screenwriter
Real Name
Darin
I'm watching the first season episode of Cheyenne "The Travelers", in Clint's honor. He was an impressive film actor as well as television.

The Dirty Dozen (1967)
vlcsnap-2018-05-22-21h58m37s886.png

More Dead Than Alive (1968)
vlcsnap-2018-05-22-22h04m43s458.png

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A great mountain of a man who reminded me a lot of my father when I was growing up and watching him on TV. Loved seeing him interact with Rock Hudson and Doris Day in Send Me No Flowers along with his TV work.

Thoughts go to his family and friends.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Another one of our childhood favorites gone. Like others have already mentioned, he holds a special place in our memories of watching Cheyenne weekly or in syndication and never missing an episode. Rest in peace and thanks for a legacy of entertainment these many years.

Clint Walker and Angie Dickinson in season two of Cheyenne, "War Party" 1956.
MV5BMTgwZDhlZGMtNjY1ZS00NDFhLTg5YjAtYmM3ZDZiMWE3ZmZiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTU2MjI3NTk@._V1_.jpg

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
It is a sad day for Big Clint fans. He passed away today just short of his 91st birthday.

That's what I strongly dislike about deaths like that-- of course, we're all going to pass on sometime (or as Seven of Nine on Voyager would put it, "All organisms eventually perish"), but to be cut down within striking distance of your birthday is an incredibly cruel blow, at least IMO.

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The Encore Western Channel runs "Cheyenne" every weekday afternoon. It remains a great show.

I believe it was not only the first hour-long western series, but actually the first hour-long filmed drama series (as opposed to live). If anyone can confirm or correct that for me I'd appreciate it.

Here's a scene from an episode of the show with Lisa Lu, just to show you how good an actor Walker was and how gentle and tender the character of Cheyenne Bodie was:

Bob Gu

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bob Gudera
Re: CHEYENNE being the first hour-long filmed series. I think the designation is, that CHEYENNE was the first successful hour-long filmed series with a continuing character. CHEYENNE's first season was as part of WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS and rotated with KING"S ROW and CASABLANCA. Those two had continuing characters but did not go to second seasons. I, also, am not sure if any hour-long anthology series were being filmed by 1955.

Clint Walker had an accident in the early 1970's, where a ski pole pierced his heart, and he survived and fully recovered. The pole hit in the only spot on the heart that would not have been fatal. I remember thinking...."Of course Clint Walker survived.......He's Cheyenne!!!"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Re: CHEYENNE being the first hour-long filmed series. I think the designation is, that CHEYENNE was the first successful hour-long filmed series with a continuing character. CHEYENNE's first season was as part of WARNER BROTHERS PRESENTS and rotated with KING"S ROW and CASABLANCA. Those two had continuing characters but did not go to second seasons. I, also, am not sure if any hour-long anthology series were being filmed by 1955.

Clint Walker had an accident in the early 1970's, where a ski pole pierced his heart, and he survived and fully recovered. The pole hit in the only spot on the heart that would not have been fatal. I remember thinking...."Of course Clint Walker survived.......He's Cheyenne!!!"
Yeah, I remember that skiing accident as he was in critical condition.

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Some good memories of big Clint Walker posted here already. He was an actor I've always liked a lot, and always wished had appeared in more things, back at his peak. But what we did get from him was good stuff. Of course, there was Cheyenne, a terrific western series. Plus several memorable TV movies (like Killdozer, Snowbeast and Scream of the Wolf, as well as several westerns), and some big screen flicks both famous (The Dirty Dozen, where he was criminally underused) and not so famous (Night of the Grizzly, Maya, Baker's Hawk, etc.)

Above all, he seemed like a good guy in real life. Similar to Matt, he always reminded me of my dad, who is also big, strong and soft-spoken. We won't see another like him. I'll try to watch his 1972 TV movie The Bounty Man tonight in his honor. R.I.P. Mr. Walker.

TFHTOBY62X2UUWXVXAHYJOUFUE.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks