What's new

"Multi channel stereo" (or Ext. Stereo)...it's not the devil! (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
As an audio purist (I run Pure Direct stereo when listening critically to stereo sources like CDs, vinyl, high-rez FLAC), I felt the need to post this.

For the longest time I've had Pioneer Elite receivers which have Ext. Stereo which is similar (the same?) to Denon's Multi channel Stereo, and I've always dutifully ignored it. When I'm critically listening, I prefer to honor the band's (and the recording engineer, and the mixer and the producer's) original intended listening experience.

But recently with my purchase of the Denon 4400h (and expanding to a 7.1 Atmos system), and moving my Elite to the bedroom (and creating a 5.1 system in there), I've discovered the joys of Multi channel (and Ext. Stereo) listening.

No, it has not replaced Pure Direct stereo for critical listening. But as I get older, and the hours of the day seem to fly by, I find I need to multitask more often, whether it's working from home, doing chores, etc. And while doing those things, I'm neither 1) critically listening, or 2) in the "sweet spot" for listening. And unfortunately I find myself in this situation more often than I am able to devote time to critical listening. C'est la vie.

In these cases, the employment of all my speakers to recreate a room-filling musical experience has been fantastic! Just wanted to share my thoughts.

JimJasper

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Yep....I feel the same....there are times you want the "pure" but....well, to enjoy you just have to sit there in the sweet spot...which isn't bad but

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I use multi-channel stereo almost exclusively in my HT. My ears like it better. Of course, YMMV always applies.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I only use multi-channel stereo mode when playing music as background for a party or get together. Otherwise, I listen to direct.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I only use multi-channel when the source is multi-channel. I don't like the the artificial processing of stereo to multi-channel when it comes to music but I do use it for video.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks