What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Seven Brides for Seven Brothers -- in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
In the world of classic film elements, popularity generally signals element problems.

Add to that AnscoColor, early CinemaScope, and Stereo sound, and it spells major restoration and preservation costs, and headaches galore.

M-G-M's first foray into CinemaScope was in 1954, with seven productions, with 7B arriving mid-year.

One might surmise that had it not been for the 70mm re-issue, that all may have been well with the original negative, but that re-issue played havoc with the original elements.

Over sixty years later, the folks at the Warner Archive, checked their inventories, called in elements from multiple vaults, performed their requisite tests, and found that an early IP was the most promising candidate for the new 2k scan.

With color basically intact, and produced before the re-issue damage, their decision paid off.

Ansco didn't dupe particularly well, so dupe shots stand out a bit, and the main title sequence comes off as oversaturated, but once you hit production footage, it's clear sailing for the length of 102 minute production.

Grain is nominal, and attractive, color steady, and the audio tracks superb for the era.

Aspect ratio is properly 2.55:1.

I fully expected 7B47B to be a quality release, but my expectations for the flat version, at 1.75:1, were nil.

Once again, Warner Archive pulls a rabbit out of a hat with the alternate version, which apparently had some clean-up. Color is fine, and the film is far cleaner than typical sub-licensed product. It's a pleasure.

One of the most requested M-G-M musicals finally makes it to Blu-ray is gorgeous form.

Image - 4.8 (nicked a bit for the main title)

Audio - 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail - Pass

Upgrade from DVD - Absolutely!

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Thanks for the few words, Robert. It sounds like Warner Archive did a fine job. I've been wanting a good version of this one for a long time. I don't think I've ever seen the 1.75:1 alternate take version. The 2.55:1 version is the one I covet, but it will be interesting to see the alternately filmed version.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
When I was a kid growing up in the 1960s, I didn't care for musicals. It's still my least favorite film genre, but my tolerance and fondness for them has grown over the years. I hated Mary Poppins, My Fair Lady and The Sound of Music. Anyhow, there were only three musicals I really loved when I was a kid back in the day. One was The Wizard of Oz which I probably watched on TV every single year from about 4 or 5 until sometime in high school. The second one was West Side Story which I dug the gang war theme and the dancing. My third film is this one with its outdoors and kind of western feel to it with great dance sequences. Now, there were others I liked, but not love such as Yankee Doodle Dandy and that's strictly because of Cagney as it always amused me that an actor that I thought played nothing, but gangsters can actually dance like that. I also dug Robin and the 7 Hoods due to the Rat Pack.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Thank you Mr. Harris. After years of hearing that the elements were pretty much beyond hope, I'm very pleased and slightly relieved to read that Warner Archive have managed to produce a quality disc. To state the obvious; yes, I will be buying this disc! I've already handed my DVD to a friend.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
This is welcome news! Thank you Mr. Harris.

And, to top it off, the opening price point for this release is the same MSRP as all other Warner Archive Blu-rays when first released, $21.99. A tremendous bargain considering I paid $100.00 on eBay for the final laser release of 7BF7B around 2000 which had both versions. I think it was one of Warner's last laser releases along with Kiss Me Kate "letterboxed" to its OAR.

Looking forward...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks