What's new

Game of Thrones Season 8 (2019) (1 Viewer)

John Lee_275604

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John Lee
I guess I better catch up.

Only halfway through season 3

Jealous. GoT is certainly in the realm of shows I covet the opportunity to see again with fresh eyes.

TBH, halfway through season 3 is about where I'd place the doldrums of the narrative. There's still a lot of filler to slog through, but there are some of the most arresting amazing set pieces still ahead of you The past couple years, in particular, have culminated in some amazing art.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Apparently now they have finished filming if I'm not mistaking.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Apparently now they have finished filming if I'm not mistaking.
Which means now they can start months of special effects and editing work before the final cuts can be submitted for approval. and those approvals could result in some reshoots.

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ew1536_2176218729390213.jpg

https://ew.com/tv/2018/11/01/game-of-thrones-final-season-ew-cover-story/

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
He obviously hasn't watched the series since David Benioff and Dan Weiss ran out of books from which to draw plotting, pacing, and dialog. IMHO, they don't have the chops to sustain it that long without Martin's prose guiding the way. So... it's all Martin's fault for not getting off his duff and writing those final books. It's not like he didn't have warning they were catching up to what he'd written.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
As a writer who's never tasted that level of success, it's hard for me to blame Martin, who's like, what, 70-something... and the last thing he wants to do after all this attention, glory, money, etc.... is go back into a room alone, sit at the keyboard and plod away in seclusion for several more months or years. Life is too short. Let him continue to reap the rewards of his previous labors.

And once the series is done, and all the plotlines played out and revealed, exactly how much interest is there going to be (compared to previous volumes) to read the new books knowing most all of the major secrets and endings have been revealed (and yes, they did consult with Martin per that article about where everything was going)?

So bring on the Final 6! And party on, George.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
As a writer who's never tasted that level of success, it's hard for me to blame Martin, who's like, what, 70-something... and the last thing he wants to do after all this attention, glory, money, etc.... is go back into a room alone, sit at the keyboard and plod away in seclusion for several more months or years. Life is too short. Let him continue to reap the rewards of his previous labors.

And once the series is done, and all the plotlines played out and revealed, exactly how much interest is there going to be (compared to previous volumes) to read the new books knowing most all of the major secrets and endings have been revealed (and yes, they did consult with Martin per that article about where everything was going)?

So bring on the Final 6! And party on, George.
I mostly agree.

I've purchased the first couple of novels but just haven't yet made time for them. But once I know how it all plays out... well... the books will have lots more detail and be quite different animals but much of the suspense will be gone. The thing is Martin's not published another book in the main story since the series started in 2011 (the last year a novel was released) but *has* written, and gotten published, several ancillary novellas. As a reader, I'd rather see the main series finished and *then* work on those supporting tomes. Even considering the 5 year wait for each of the last 2 novels, he's overdue and has said the next book will not see a 2018 release. Hopefully in 2019 but I'm not holding my breath.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I mostly agree.

I've purchased the first couple of novels but just haven't yet made time for them. But once I know how it all plays out... well... the books will have lots more detail and be quite different animals but much of the suspense will be gone. The thing is Martin's not published another book in the main story since the series started in 2011 (the last year a novel was released) but *has* written, and gotten published, several ancillary novellas. As a reader, I'd rather see the main series finished and *then* work on those supporting tomes. Even considering the 5 year wait for each of the last 2 novels, he's overdue and has said the next book will not see a 2018 release. Hopefully in 2019 but I'm not holding my breath.
Yeah, Martin seems like kind of a jackass, working on anything and everything in sight except finishing the series his fans want him to finish. I imagine he'll kick the bucket before he finishes writing the series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks