What's new

Star Wars - Boba Fett Movie - James Mangold (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
This was what Josh Trank's spinoff was supposed to be. It was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now. We already have a Boba Fett origin story. It was called "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones." There is nothing left that needs to be said about this minor character.

I have serious concerns that, outside of the saga films, that Disney is trying to turn every single sight gag and throwaway line from the original trilogy into its own story. And the original films were never made to withstand that kind of scrutiny and world building (how could any film withstand having every single beat turned into its own separate two hour film?), and frankly, it's just not very interesting.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yeah, I agree with you both. I'm a bit surprised they're announcing this on the day Solo comes out, without waiting to see how that film performs both in terms of box office and fan reception. A big opening is assured, but if Solo burns out quickly and people don't like it, would that make Lucasfilm reconsider this? Waiting to make such announcements would be safer, especially with the track record of behind-the-scenes drama on the spinoffs to date.

Also, James Mangold has a number of current projects in the works. While I think he's a great director and his attachment to this makes it interesting, he has a number of other current projects that he's attached to that are more interesting, so I'm curious what this means for those.

He's attached to direct the adaptation of a book I'm currently reading, The Force by Don Winslow (which, for the record, is about the police force, and has nothing to do with the Force in the Star Wars sense.) That one was recently delayed and the script is currently undergoing a rewrite. But it's not clear if Star Wars will leapfrog in front of it (and the other things Mangold is developing.) I'd rather have him working on that.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I disagree, and I think a Boba Fett movie could be very good. I'd like to see it open with him crawling out of the Sarlaac pit and undoing one of the dumbest moves in movie history. I nominate Michael Rooker as the man under the helmet.

For those of you who just really want something all new, Emilia Clarke says the Benioff and Weiss movies will be like "Star Wars on acid."

Last edited:

SamT

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Is this in place of the Obi-Wan movie? I never understood the fascination for Boba Fett. This is the last thing I want to see and it will be the first new Star Wars movie that I will not go see in the theater.

This will bomb at the box office.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'm not sure it'll outright bomb since it's pretty possible to spend enough money on advertising and other promotional materials, along with existing brand recognition, where a studio can essentially buy a $100 million opening. The problem is, it'll cost at least that much to manipulate that big of an audience into coming out, so it doesn't pay in the end. I think it's more likely that they'd be able to get a huge opening and then it'll just fall off a cliff after that.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
With Mangold, there's at least little chance that the execution won't be good. But Boba Fett's just one of the least interesting characters to spend $150 million+ on.

Depending on what era they set it in, they should stick with one of the three prequel actors. If it's between III and IV, they should bring Daniel Logan back. If it's circa the original trilogy, they should bring Bodie Taylor back. If it's post-ROTJ, they should bring Temuera Morrison back. If he's in the armor most of the time, you can have a stunt actor play the role for most of the movie, and just get Logan or Morrison to voice the character via ADR.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
A throw away character with a cool suit. No back story to tell, no depth to be given. Give it up Disney, this would be a bad idea for a direct to video animated movie.

No one outside of the hardcore Star Wars fanbase knows who the heck Boba Fett *is*, and even if they did why would they care? When Disney sees lousy numbers for Solo, and I think they will, I can't imagine how they'd want to move forward with this idea.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
No announcement on the official Star Wars site so they didn't announce it the day that SOLO came out.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
But the trades announced Mangold's attachment to it, and they had to have gotten their information from somewhere.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
The trades announced people attached to Obi Wan months ago and still no official announcements.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
With Mangold, there's at least little chance that the execution won't be good.
James Mangold is what grabs my interest about this movie. If they can do something more serious (a la Logan), it could be a different SW movie which can only be a good thing. For me, mystery is part of what was cool about Boba Fett so to keep featuring like they did in the Expanded Universe doesn't help the character.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
This was what Josh Trank's spinoff was supposed to be. It was a bad idea then, and it's a bad idea now. We already have a Boba Fett origin story. It was called "Star Wars: Episode II - Attack Of The Clones." There is nothing left that needs to be said about this minor character.

I have serious concerns that, outside of the saga films, that Disney is trying to turn every single sight gag and throwaway line from the original trilogy into its own story. And the original films were never made to withstand that kind of scrutiny and world building (how could any film withstand having every single beat turned into its own separate two hour film?), and frankly, it's just not very interesting.

I like the phrase I saw on another site: Disney is going to strip mine Star Wars.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

I would be genuinely surprised if Mangold were allowed to make something that distinctive within the framework of a Star Wars film.

Rian Johnson did it, but I'm still not quite sure how.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Gaah! Fett's probably my least favorite Star Wars character, I'd even place Jar Jar Binks above him. I never understood the fan worship of this character, even when I was a kid.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks