What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ The Patriot -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Patriot, directed by Roland Emmerich, in 2000, is in many ways like Braveheart, directed by its lead, Mel Gibson in 1995.

Both are tales of nationalism, somehow based upon a horrific personal event, leading to a desire for revenge.

Both are fine films, and both have now received splendid treatment from their respective studios, Paramount and Columbia (Sony).

One look at Sony's new 4k image harvest for The Patriot, and you know that you're in for a visual treat.

Everything, both visually and sonically (Dolby Atmos), raise this new release far above the previous offering on HD Blu-ray.

Fully reference quality in all factors, and should be added to any serious cinema library.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (Dolby Atmos)

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Absolutely!

Pass / Fail - Pass

Very Highly Recommended

RAH

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Seeing "The Patriot" released on the heels of "Braveheart" is good news all around for us 4K enthusiasts who continue to root for so many more of the catalog titles.
Sold !!

Last edited:

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
This one arrived earlier in the week, and we will probably watch it this evening. I have never owned The Patriot in any format, having borrowed the DVD from a friend. I'm looking forward to revisiting the film... it's been many years since I've seen it.

Reactions: PMF

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We watched this tonight, and it was a better film than I remembered. One thing surprised and disappointed me, though:
There was no resolution regarding the Adam Baldwin character regarding his deplorable actions -- unless I somehow missed it in the final battle scene.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I always remember thinking, years ago, that the PQ on the Blu-ray of The Patriot was outstanding--one of the best-looking images I had ever seen.

But I'm, admittedly, not the most discerning guy when it comes to picture quality. I figured that it had probably been horribly over-processed and was tricking me into thinking that it looked good. I've been meaning, for a while now, to revisit it. But I'll probably wait on a 4k upgrade until I get a 4k display.

MarkantonyII

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
Mr Harris, do you think you’ll be able to review the UHD Jurassic Park set as Universal seems, to my eyes at least, to be the most variable studio in terms of quality when it comes to titles not sourced from a DI.

Many thanks Regardless

M

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I always remember thinking, years ago, that the PQ on the Blu-ray of The Patriot was outstanding--one of the best-looking images I had ever seen.

But I'm, admittedly, not the most discerning guy when it comes to picture quality. I figured that it had probably been horribly over-processed and was tricking me into thinking that it looked good. I've been meaning, for a while now, to revisit it. But I'll probably wait on a 4k upgrade until I get a 4k display.
Mike,

Just to let you know that the 4K/UHD disc is the theatrical cut of the film while the Blu-ray has the Extended cut which is 10 minutes longer.

seangood79

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
Before clicking on the link, a small part of me was hoping the RAH had been secretly working on a miraculously found negative of Ernst Lubitsch's 1928 film, and found the funding to restore it to a quality worthy of UHD.
Not disappointed that it was (obviously) the Mel Gibson film, just a little sad.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
It's a pity the accompanying bluray of this is not from the new 4k scan, and is only the extended cut.
It seems some companies are targeted only to the very few people that are 4K capable.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would also love to know if the 4K blu-ray is the theatrical or the extended or does it offer both? Again thank you for the review Robert.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Thank you Tino

I currently own the 2007 Sapphire Series release of Braveheart on blu-ray and I may just upgrade it to the 4K blu-ray. I think I should look at what version the blu-ray is but most likely I suspect it is the theatrical edition. Never mind just looked up how long my blu-ray is and at 178 minutes it is the same length as the 4K edition so I do in fact currently own the theatrical edition. And since my goal is to eventually upgrade to a 4K projector I think I will eventually add the 4K blu-ray to my library.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thank you Tino

I currently own the 2007 Sapphire Series release of Braveheart on blu-ray and I may just upgrade it to the 4K blu-ray. I think I should look at what version the blu-ray is but most likely I suspect it is the theatrical edition. Never mind just looked up how long my blu-ray is and at 178 minutes it is the same length as the 4K edition so I do in fact currently own the theatrical edition. And since my goal is to eventually upgrade to a 4K projector I think I will eventually add the 4K blu-ray to my library.
Dave you're confusing me.

The 07-03-07 Blu-ray release is the Extended Cut version at 175 minutes.

The 05-22-18 4K/UHD release has the Theatrical version at 165 minutes on the 4K/UHD disc. The accompanying Blu-ray has the Extended Cut version at 175 minutes. So you have two different versions of the film with the 05-22-18 4K/UHD release. Theatrical version on 4K disc while Extended version on Blu-ray.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
This is why and where I came up with the 178 minutes for my post.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Braveheart-4K-Blu-ray/200176/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Braveheart-Blu-ray/1289/

I would also love to know if the 4K blu-ray is the theatrical or the extended or does it offer both? Again thank you for the review Robert.
4K=theatrical
Blu Ray=Extended

I was assuming that if the 4K is theatrical and bluray.com was telling me both the sapphire edition blu-ray and the 4K blu-ray where the same length that they where both theatrical. Sorry if I caused any confusion as I am doing a great job at confusing myself.

my sapphire edition
IMG_1170a.jpg

Best Buy
braveheart 4K best buy.jpg

So are they both extended or theatrical? Just trying to get this straight in my head. But it does sound like I will be picking up the 4K blu-ray edition.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This is why and where I came up with the 178 minutes for my post.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Braveheart-4K-Blu-ray/200176/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Braveheart-Blu-ray/1289/

I was assuming that if the 4K is theatrical and bluray.com was telling me both the sapphire edition blu-ray and the 4K blu-ray where the same length that they where both theatrical. Sorry if I caused any confusion as I am doing a great job at confusing myself.

my sapphire edition
View attachment 46767

Best Buy
View attachment 46768

So are they both extended or theatrical? Just trying to get this straight in my head. But it does sound like I will be picking up the 4K blu-ray edition.
Braveheart versus The Patriot. How did we get confused by the different titles when this is The Patriot thread?

I actually pulled each of the three The Patriot discs from their cases and played them on my player and this is the following play time:

07-03-07 Blu-ray Release is 2.55.06

05-22-18 4K/UHD Release is 2.44.46

images

05-22-18 Blu-ray Disc that's part of the above 05-22-18 4K/UHD Release is 2.55.06, the same length as the 07-03-07 Blu-ray Release. It's exactly the same Blu-ray disc.

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I just realized that this is not the correct page and not Braveheart, my sincere apogees! I guess I am more distracted and stressed about my job situation that I thought. This is very embarrassing and I am very sorry Robert. Feel free to delete my above posts. Don't know why I was thinking this was the braveheart post as part of the confusion may have been from having mutiple tabs open with multiple threads at the same time.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do have the extended on blu-ray and also have The Patriot in 4K on my purchase list. Can not wait to spin up the 4K blu-ray and enjoy this title.

IMG_1173a.jpg

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I just realized that this is not the correct page and not Braveheart, my sincere apogees! I guess I am more distracted and stressed about my job situation that I thought. This is very embarrassing and I am very sorry Robert. Feel free to delete my above posts. Don't know why I was thinking this was the braveheart post as part of the confusion may have been from having mutiple tabs open with multiple threads at the same time.

Not to fret.

In many ways, they’re the same film.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I do love both films though and want both on 4K blu-ray. Will be amazed when studios actually start offering older catalog titles on 4K blu-ray. I really want that to be the last supported format I get into.

20180604_200500.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks