What's new

A Few Words About A few words about...™ Pitch Perfect 1-3 -- in 4k UHD Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
While they may not be winning international awards, the three Pitch Perfect films, from Universal, are crowd pleasers.

I missed the first two, even on home video, as I (mistakenly) took them for something far less than they are.

The first film is a light-hearted, easily digested delight, in the form of a musical soufflé. The second, which introduces Hailee Steinfeld to the cast, already populated by Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Brittany Snow, Skylar Astin, Anna Camp, Ben Platt, and other young actors, is likewise a delight. Elizabeth Banks is on board, in on of the few adult roles. She's also producer.

The third begins to head toward Mission Impossible, Fast & Furious turf, taking the group out for a European adventure, adding John Lithgow, as Ms Wilson's problematic father.

Likewise, the budgets, as reported by IMDb, went from 17, to 29, to 45 million, and it shows on screen.

I'll admit that I made another wrong turn, by not picking up the three films, when they arrived on 4k, as I presumed that since they weren't shot larger format, what could I be missing.

For those who appreciate the series, the answer comes down to audio, which re-mixes the original (for video) DTS-HD MA 5.1 tracks to DTS-X, and the difference is in one face and speaker-cleansing.

The uprez for image is also an improvement, but I'm not certain how much above what one's player might produce, aside from the requisite HDR.

These are charming moderately budgeted productions, that will have you smiling, and we need more of that these days.

Will there be a 4? Doesn't seem to be logical, the way that 3 ends, but if that's in the cards, it will probably arrive in the forma of Frankenstein Meets the Bellas, or possibly Pitch Perfect & Furious.

Currently, the three can be picked up on Amazon, for around $40, all in.

Image - 5

Audio - 5 (DTS-X)

Upgrade from Blu-ray - Yes, but more for audio

Pass / Fail - Pass

Highly Recommended

RAH

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
It was the same situation with me; I totally dismissed these until the 4k picture quality intrigued me.. I've only seen the 1st one thus far but loved it. In fact, when I just have 20 minutes to spare, I'll often re-watch a few chapters and thoroughly enjoy it. It's very charming stuff. Looking forward to watching the next 2...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks