What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Die Hard isn’t just a perfect action film, it’s a brilliant Christmas movie just right for enjoying on a Christmas Eve when a Home Alone, White Christmas or Scrooged just won’t do. I’ve watched Die Hard so many times I can’t even count and spun it on Christmas Eve regularly. It never gets old. The film unfolds with a confident precision, and with heart, wit, and an abundance of great ideas expressed expertly behind and in front of the camera. This is action cinema at its very best with an abundance of memorable, quotable dialogue.

Disc Information

Studio:
Distributed By:
Video Resolution:

Aspect Ratio:
Audio:

Subtitles:
Rating:

Run Time:
Package Includes:

Case Type:

Disc Type:
Region:

Release Date:
MSRP:...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
A Christmas movie???? I'm not so sure, but it's a great action movie. Thank you for the review.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
A Christmas movie???? I'm not so sure, but it's a great action movie. Thank you for the review.
If we can have Christmas comedies (A Christmas Story, Scrooged, etc.), Christmas dramas (It's a Wonderful Life), Christmas musicals (White Christmas), why can't we have a Christmas action movie? ;)

Seriously, we usually watch Die Hard during the holiday season. It felt odd watching the UHD last week so far removed from Christmas.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If we can have Christmas comedies (A Christmas Story, Scrooged, etc.), Christmas dramas (It's a Wonderful Life), Christmas musicals (White Christmas), why can't we have a Christmas action movie? ;)

Seriously, we usually watch Die Hard during the holiday season. It felt odd watching the UHD last week so far removed from Christmas.
Seriously, I have my Christmas western in 3 Godfathers. Damn, I wish I can have that John Wayne film in 1080p in gorgeous Technicolor. I love listening to people arguing about what is a Christmas movie and what's not with Die Hard, Gremlins and Trading Places among the titles being debated. Man, do those arguments get passionate and I just laugh at the emotions being displayed.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
I was watching "Rollercoaster" from 1977 the other day and realized it was "Die Hard in an Amusement Park" eleven years before anyone knew what "Die Hard" was besides a car battery sold by Sears.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey Neil, I just read your review of the UHD Die Hard. I don’t own it yet as I wasn’t 4K capable until a few months ago.

Because I haven’t gotten around to getting the UHD disc, I watched the Blu ray last night on Christmas Eve. My semi regular Christmas time viewing. :) It was the first time I watched it on my new OLED 4K display. After reading your review of the UHD, I have to say, really? Without having seen the new UHD disc, I was thinking this blu ray looks really great! I wondered how much better the UHD will be. The display might be doing a great job processing the image from the Blu ray.

So I’ll be curious to see the UHD when it joins my library. But since this title was first released as a 4K UHD, I don’t see the other Die Hard films out on UHD yet? Part of why I waited was to see all the Die Hard films in 4K. It’s been a while.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Since it is Christmas and I saw this title, chiming in on the topic of: Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?

Hell to the Yeah it is. Seriously, look at the motif of the film...

"Now I have a machine gun. Ho Ho Ho".
"Twas the night before Christmas, and all through the house, not a creature was stirring..."
Christmas wrapping to secure the gun to McClane's back.
The paper raining down from the building like snow.

- Walter.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Since it is Christmas and I saw this title, chiming in on the topic of: Is Die Hard a Christmas movie?
As far as I'm concerned, if a movie is set at Christmas time, it's a Christmas movie. It's certainly not the traditional Christmas movie but an action movie set on Christmas Eve is still a Christmas movie. The same with Gremlins or Black Christmas or Silent Night, Deadly Night- they're horror pictures set at Christmas time.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk
@Nelson Au The Die Hard UHD is frequently on sale for $9.99 on Amazon if you're interested and the sequels are available digitally in 4K HDR from the various retailers. They go on sale sometimes for $4.99 and look fine. I watched Die Hard 2 in 4K from iTunes yesterday (it's also a Christmas movie!) and I enjoyed it.

5f012ff3b633d3001ee1f5fa.jpeg

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Neil S. Bulk regarding the sale price for DH1. It looks like it’s still $14.99 now. So good to know it might go down. And good to know about the digital versions of the sequels. That’s an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks