What's new

XB1X HDMI connection issues (1 Viewer)

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
hi guys,

I just bought an XB1X tonight and am trying to connect it to my 46 inch Samsung 1080P screen (unfortunately the model number escapes me), and my Yamaha RX-V481 receiver. I would like to do this very similar to how my PS4 Pro is where it is connected to my receiver, receiver to tv and the PS4 outputs in surround and 1080p through the receiver.

However, the XB1 seems to operate completely different and requires the HDMI connection in to the tv. I have done this and can get video on my tv as well as audio in stereo through the tv speakers. I have also tried going direct in to my receiver with another hdmi cable but still no luck in getting sound output through my AV receiver in surround. I don’t want to resort to optic cable because then I lose out on sound formats for blu ray.

I have spent all night trying to figure this out and am extremely frustrated. How do I make this work like it does with my PS4 and how I originally envisioned it? Please help, thanks in advance!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
It should work exactly the same way. Use a different HDMI and make sure you are using 18gps certified hdmi
While I agree the cable could be the problem, and probably is, he doesn't necessarily need "18Gbps certified" for this. But he shouldn't assume the same HDMI cable that works fine with the PS4 Pro (@ 1080p mind you) will work fine with the XB1X. I have learned this, it flummoxes me, since we're talking supposedly the same rez into the same display. If he has to get a new cable, definitely get the 18Gbps certified, or at least the next level below that, in short lengths they're like $5 and it does make a difference even @ 1080p sometimes. I speculate it's the output circuitry that seems very common in many things associated with Microsoft or Intel these days (just my observation, looking for the common elements). I've had a similar problem to this before, here, and also have seen it at a friend's house.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Honestly, this sounds like an issue with the output settings of the Xbox. Make sure you're telling it to output the right audio and that the receiver is set correctly. I can't imagine why you'd get video and stereo to pass through but then have issues with surround if the cable isn't good.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks