What's new

Screen size for 2 rows of stadium seating (1 Viewer)

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
Hi all,
We are building a new house. Our basement foundation drops down about 13" where the screen will go so that we can have a couch on that level and then an couch behind it 13" higher. (See plan uploaded- it shows a platform, but we dropped it instead of building up). I was thinking of a 110" screen size so that the people on the lower level aren't too close. But I'm also concerned about the distance for the people sitting at the counter watching. So then I was leaning toward 120" screen. We are about to wire everything up and put the outlet in the ceiling for the projector and I'm trying to get a distance where the electricians can put that outlet in- but I'm basing it off of the screen size for distance. What viewing distance do you go off of? Thanks!

Also- our ceiling height will be roughly 8'4" on the upper level and then about a foot higher as you drop down.

Attachments

• Theater picture.jpg
    Theater picture.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 129

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Hi Emmi,

It's hard to be sure, but it looks like your first row of seating is about 9' back from the screen. At that distance, I wouldn't go beyond 110", just for viewing comfort. You can use this calculator to play with the variables and get angles, but I can say that in my room 9' and 110 is about the limit of comfortable viewing.

https://www.projectorscreen.com/projector-screen-calculators

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I respect Dave's opinion but I've personally found 120" FINE at 7' and would go bigger if I had the room to do so. You'll be more fine at 9'. YMMV.

turbonerd12

Agent
Real Name
Emmi
The back of our couch on the lowest level goes to 13’. So I’d say viewing is 12’ from the screen. I don’t want to go too small either that viewing from the countertop would be too far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks