What's new

Broadcast TV The Good Place - Season 3 (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Since the old thread was designated for season 2, I thought it was time to start a new one with today's announcement from NBC of the season 3 premiere date.

As usual, it's an hour-long opener, but it's not getting a boost out of one of the reality shows like they did in previous years.

Good Place 3.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
This show needs no boost.

Ratings-wise, the premieres of the last two seasons airing after popular reality shows were able to attract more people than a regular episode following Superstore. That's all I meant. Creatively, you're absolutely right.

But the show is so plot-heavy that maybe NBC is going with the idea that more people aren't likely to jump on midstream now anyway.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
TV Insider has an interview with the cast about season 3. Spoilers if you haven't finished season 2, but no spoilers for next season. The most surprising thing here is that they've been shooting since April (!!!!) and they only have a couple episodes left to shoot for the season. I didn't realize they were on that different of a schedule versus other fall shows, which usually start shooting in July or so.

https://www.tvinsider.com/708945/the-good-place-season-3-cast-cliffhanger-comic-con/

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Yes. Not producing more than 13 has always been a creative decision.

But, since NBC no longer has Thursday Night Football beginning in November, I'd say there is a decent possibility that the season could run consecutively rather than breaking in November and returning in January with only a few episodes left.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think it was the only way they could get Kristin Bell who didn't want to spend the majority of her year working on one project.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
I visited the Universal backlot in June and it was evident that they were in production because the storefronts had multiple colorful signs for frozen yogurt.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
And the announcement today that Kristin Bell and Rob Thomas are negotiating with Hulu for another Veronica Mars series, we may be seeing quite a lot of Ms. Bell if that comes about. Mars would likely be 8-10 episodes.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Veronica Mars would have no impact on The Good Place for this upcoming season because The Good Place has already wrapped shooting on season 3.

I'm not sure what impact it might have on a theoretical season 4 though, but if it were a limited order she could probably do both.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Veronica Mars would have no impact on The Good Place for this upcoming season because The Good Place has already wrapped shooting on season 3.

I'm not sure what impact it might have on a theoretical season 4 though, but if it were a limited order she could probably do both.
No doubt about it. Since neither would have lengthy shoots, she could easily fit both into her schedule.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
It never ceases to amaze me how this show manages to stay so top notch even as it's regularly reinventing itself.

Also: it's incredibly high success rate of introducing supporting characters midstream. One hour in, and Kirby Howell-Baptiste (who did a lot with a small supporting role on "Killing Eve") already makes a great partner in crime for Chidi as a neurology professor at the same university.

They also retconned Chidi's American accent by explaining that he spent several years in American schools growing up.

All of the Florida stuff with Jason just absolutely killed me.

And Tahani's contact list:
TheGoodPlace_S03_001.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I thought the premiere was fantastic. I'm glad they didn't waste any time in getting the core four back together quickly. Since it was inevitable that they would find each other again, better to do it fast and get things moving. I really appreciate how tightly plotted this show is and they don't drag things out. But what happens when the judge finds out about Michael's interference? Nothing good, I expect.

I'm also glad they managed to retcon the plot hole about Chidi speaking French vs. English that was created by last year's finale. Good job on the writers for remembering that and tying it up.

Also, how can Elanor afford to move to Australia? She says she's in a hotel, but it doesn't seem like this is a short-term stay. Did she get a job there or what?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks